African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Labour Economist
Position N°: 50065751
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice President, Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery, is responsible for the relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group's operational programmes and activities.
- The RDVP Vice-President ensures that the Bank carries out its activities effectively in all its RMCs and supervises the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank's regional management.
- Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
- The General Directorate for Central Africa plays a central role in the Bank's operational framework for the reduction of poverty and promotion of sustainable development in its Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- It leads the development of indicative lending strategies and programmes at the national and regional levels, focusing on the Bank's Five Operational Priorities (High 5s) flagship programmes: Light Up and Power Africa; Feed Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa.
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division (RDGC.2) covers the last three High 5s, which focus on: food and nutritional security through agricultural transformation by developing the agro-industry; improving access to education, health, drinking water and sanitation; youth employment and promoting gender equality and social protection.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As a member of the RDGC, the Senior Labour Economist will ensure the implementation of projects, programmes and studies in the social sector, with a focus on job creation and social protection.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, the Senior Labour Economist will:
- Provide integrated strategic advice and high-level technical support to the Bank and RMCs on employment issues;
- Make significant contribution to the Bank's knowledge management initiatives in the field of employment in order to stimulate knowledge-sharing within and outside the Bank;
- Provide sound advice on best practices to address broader labour market issues. Serve as a technical authority on employment for poor and marginalized groups;
- Provide expert advice to other Bank Departments/Divisions on labour market issues, including unemployment, social protection and poverty reduction;
- Participate in the formulation, preparation, evaluation, negotiation, monitoring, follow-up, launching, supervision and retrospective evaluation missions and the review process of small- to large-scale projects or programmes;
- Lead certain specific preparation, evaluation, monitoring, launching, supervision and project completion missions; prepare relevant reports and ensure their processing until their approval by the Board;
- Review and evaluate studies and other project documents;
- Recruit and supervise the work of consultants in charge of various missions and responsibilities related to Bank operations;
- Monitor project implementation status; review project implementation issues and propose solutions;
- Establish relations with other donors for the co-financing of Bank operations; and
- Review and provide advice on documents, studies and other reports (identification, preparation, evaluation and completion reports, CSPs, SEAs, etc.) prepared by the Bank.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent degree in Economics or other related disciplines;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in the fields of labour markets and social protection. Project cycle experience and knowledge of the activities of multilateral development banks will be an asset;
- Good command of and experience in analyzing labour market information for policy development and best practices;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software; and
- Ability to effectively communicate in English or French (written and oral), with practical working knowledge of the other.
8th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.