African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Agricultural Officer
Position N°: 50063201
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- Within regional development, integration and business delivery complex the Bank has five (5) regional hubs one in each region: South Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa and Central Africa. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General.
- The Directorate-General for Central Africa plays a key role in the Bank's operational framework for poverty reduction and sustainable development in its regional member countries. It steers the preparation of indicative national and regional lending strategies and programmes, focusing on the flagship programmes of the Bank's High 5s, namely: "Light up and Power Africa," "Feed Africa," "Industrialize Africa," "Integrate Africa" and "Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa."
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division (RDGC.2) covers the last three High 5s, which aim at: food and nutritional security through the transformation of agriculture by developing agro-industry; improving access to education, health, drinking water and sanitation; youth employment and promoting gender equality and social protection.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the RDGC, the Senior Agricultural Officer will contribute to the development and implementation of the Bank's strategies and projects/programmes, under the “FEED AFRICA" agricultural transformation agenda, in the regional member countries.
- He/she will be responsible for establishing dialogue with the public authorities of regional member countries, in particular with regard to the activities of the African Development Bank to support national and sectoral policies and reforms in the areas of agriculture, agro-industry, rural development, natural resource management and climate change.
Under the technical supervision of the Division Manager, RDGC.2, and the direction of the Gabon Country Manager, the Senior Agricultural Officer will perform the following functions:
Project Cycle Activities:
- Steer and contribute to the development of operational activities for project preparation in the agricultural and rural development sector, for Bank financing and defend his/her projects/programmes before the Bank's Board.
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the Bank's sector policies and strategies, including the conduct of economic and sector work, in the areas of agriculture, agro-industry, rural development, natural resource management and climate change.
- Provide continuing technical assistance and strategic advice to project management staff and professionals in Bank member countries on the proper application of the Bank's operational project administration procedures.
- Coordinate with the Bank's Finance Department and national partners in the processing of disbursement requests, management of audit missions and monitoring of the financial execution of projects.
- Monitor the effective implementation of all project phases, including the implementation of financing agreements, procurement management, monitoring of disbursements, regular audits, monitoring of progress reports, etc., while ensuring proper compliance with the rules and procedures applicable to Bank-financed operations.
- Prepare Project Completion Reports (PCRs) in accordance with the Bank's Operations Manual.
- Organize and undertake field missions for the preparation, appraisal, supervision and control of Bank-financed projects and sector work.
- Identify and use at strategic moments key experts (individuals and institutions) to support beneficiaries in the design and implementation of projects in the areas of agriculture, agro-industry, rural development, natural resource management and climate change.
- Help to create an enabling environment for knowledge management, in particular by (i) providing practical assistance for project implementation in order to achieve overall objectives, (ii) involving experts and resource persons in Africa, (iii) identifying innovative approaches, results and lessons learned from past experiences, (iv) ensuring rapid information sharing with national partners, (v) encouraging and supporting the dissemination of results at the level required for possible replication, (vi) ensuring the effective recruitment of consultants to undertake various knowledge management activities, etc.
- Contribute to the dissemination of information and ensure that lessons and recommendations are documented and quickly shared.
- Perform any task assigned by the line manager.
Partnerships and Dialogue:
- Contribute to coordination with national, regional and international partners.
- Represent the Bank in donor meetings, regional and international meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops on development issues.
- Establish sound communication between the various stakeholders
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Agronomy or Rural Development with specialization in Agricultural Economics, or in related fields.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Rural Development, Natural Resources Management and Climate Change or related fields.
- Have sound experience and a proven record in the design and implementation of social development investment projects.
- Good knowledge of the operational policies and programming practices of a multilateral organization.
- A good understanding of the challenges related to the development of agriculture, agro-industry, rural development, natural resource management and climate change in developing countries and proven experience in the policies, procedures and operational practices of major bilateral or multilateral development agencies in Africa and particularly in Central Africa and the ability to work effectively in all sectors.
- Have a strong sense of initiative, be results-minded, team-oriented and demonstrate leadership skills.
- Be able to implement innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining effective in a dynamic, evolving and demanding corporate environment.
- Demonstrate a strong critical mind.
- Be able to anticipate needs and demands and conduct independent policy discussions with government representatives, and support strategic thinking on the development of agriculture, agro-industry, rural development, natural resource management and climate change.
- Be able to accomplish a mission in a multicultural environment and collaborate within teams and with other departments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French, with a good working knowledge of English.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software applications
8th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions. the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will therefore
- Not have international terms and conditions of employment.
- Only applicants who are nationals of gabon or are nationals of member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in gabon will be considered for this position. the bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post.