African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Investment Officer
Position N°: 50001046
The Hiring Department/ Division
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
- The Energy, Financial solution, policy and regulation department is responsible for advising Regional Member Countries in the establishment of relevant policies and regulations and to structure energy investments.
- The department is also responsible for coordinating relevant flagship programs: Early stage Project support and Financing Catalyst and country wide transformation.
- Under the department there are two divisions.
- They are Energy Policy regulations and statistics Division and Financial Solutions Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The role of the Investment Officer will be to provide deep sectoral expertise for the analysis of power markets in Regional Member Countries and identifies opportunities for Bank support.
- The job holder contributes to the delivery of flagships as relevant.
Under the overall supervision of the Team Lead for the Innovative Finance and Partnerships Team, the Investment Officer will:
- Conduct analyses of the investment and regulatory environment and main obstacles to private sector development in RMCs; translate findings of analytical work into clear policy recommendations and implementation in existing and new Technical Assistance programs in collaboration with PESR.1;
- Contribute to policy discussions on obstacles to competitiveness and private sector development and reform recommendations with RMCs and private sector stakeholders;
- Support the development and implementation of key PEVP Technical Assistance initiatives including:
- Fine-tuning the design and outline of these initiatives in regards to scope, content and set-up characteristics
- Providing energy market data and information such as energy market analysis, white papers, blogs and policy recommendation to support existing initiatives such as the Africa Energy Portal and the Energy Regulatory Index
- Supporting the delivery of the AFDB internal procedures to establish new and PEVP focused Technical Assistance initiatives in close collaboration with relevant internal counterparts, including other PEVP departments, Resource Mobilization department etc.;
- Support the rolling out of transparent IPP procurement schemes and the mobilization of the private sector in generation, including designing Project Implementation Units for IPPs in close collaboration with Policy, Regulations and Statistics division and the team from the Sustainable Energy For Africa Trust Fund (SEFA)
- Drive and implement a partnership engagement strategy including studies and assessment of opportunities to mobilize financing from third-party funding for the department’s initiatives and Technical Assistance programs;
- Design promotional and marketing material to raise and mobilize third-party funding
- Support the PESR Management in liaising with new and existing partners such as Government ministries, DFIs, development partners and global energy sector initiatives and funds, etc.;
- Drive and implement business development and partnership outreach strategies for PESR in close collaboration with AfDB regional offices;
- Prepare and carry out internal business development initiatives including onsite workshops, webinars and remote video conferences
- Design a complex-wide customer relationship management tool in collaboration with relevant Bank-wide counterparts and departments to enable focussed client engagement
- Coordinate responses to enquiries concerning PESR initiatives in the energy sector;
- Prepare briefing material on country/sector and project issues;
- Perform any other duty as assigned.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Engineering, Economics, Finance Business or related field.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years' progressive experience in a sector analysis, economic analysis, energy policy, economic analysis and experiences in power sector research and IPP, preferably for Renewable Energy area;
- Proven ability to economically assess and conduct energy policy research and advisory services;
- Full understanding of the principles of Independent Power Producers (IPP) systems and requirements.
- Deep knowledge of the energy sector in the African context.
- Demonstrable familiarity with energy projects indicators.
- Knowledge and understanding of AfDB administrative and operational procedures.
- Sound understanding of innovative finance instruments and approaches
- Excellent technical, analytical skills and established operational track record of achieving results;
- Relevant experience in setting up of IPP procurement advisory and support programs
- Proven track record in designing technical assistance initiatives and policy advisory
- Sound understanding and experience regarding innovative finance approaches and supporting the required framework environments
- Relevant experience working within an Development Finance Institution, preferably with a focus on African energy markets
- Track record and experience in designing and setting up of knowledge products and initiatives
- Business development and resource mobilization expertise
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
8th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).