African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Advisory Services Officer
: Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078333
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
The Hiring Department:
- The role of the Bank’s NSO and Private Sector Support Department (PINS) is to promote private sector in Regional Members Countries (RMCs), ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
- As part of the Private Sector Support Department, the Strategy and Transaction Support Division is responsible for preparing strategies, policies, guidelines, and analytical tools relevant to the private sector development; it also ensures global client management and undertakes specialized assignments for the Regions, providing ad hoc advice on transaction bankability, structuring, Project Modelling and designs and implements technical assistance for Private Sector operations.
The level of responsibility associated with the position as Principal Advisory Services Officer requires the job holder to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of innovative programs, structures, co-financing, technical assistance aimed at enhancing the structure and viability of Non Sovereign Operations(NSO);
- Identify the focus and type of initiatives and potential partners for delivery of Technical Assistance (TA) and business advisory States; alongside special vehicles to mobilize third parties funds to support NSO in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Conflict affected Countries;
- Drive analytical work and develop a framework for business advisory services for Non-sovereign operations within the Bank. Contribute to the dissemination of knowledge and best practices on issues related to mainstreaming TA in Country Strategy Paper ( CSPs) and NSO related activities;
- Provide support in preparation and monitoring technical assistance transactions within the Bank;
- Operate and Manage the Technical Assistance Platform and develop guidelines and standards for TA operations.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Division Manager - Strategy and Transaction Support, the Principal Advisory Services Officer will perform the following:
- Provide guidance on the design and implementation of technical assistance projects, related initiatives, programs and services, through regular outreach to NSO Sector teams with a view of enhancing Non Sovereign Operations;
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of technical assistance projects originated by NSO and other Departments of the Bank;
- Conduct Analytical Work and Advisory Service, dissemination of knowledge and best practices on issues related to TA and private sector development in Africa;
- Coordinate the development of innovative programs, structures, co-financing, technical assistance aimed at meeting the specific requirements of the various NSO business segments;
- Participate in the technical review of identified technical assistance proposals to be financed through managed trust/special funds, ordinary resources and captive facilities;
- Train staff in the utilization of the TA platform and reporting;
- Administrate the Technical Assistance web based Platform and provide user support;
- Design and originate specific TA proposal for PSD (Private Sector Development) in Fragile Countries for the underserved (youth, women, etc.);
- Provide inputs on technical assistance program to inform the Bank's country assistance and other development strategies, plans, programs and projects;
- Monitor, coordinate and provide inputs from PINS perspective to the private sector -related technical assistance activities led by other units across the Bank;
- As needed, reach out to the Bank’s administrators of internally managed donor facilities to mobilize transaction-level financing for technical assistance projects;
- Provide on need basis updated status and forecast information on operational and fiduciary matters TA activities funded by Bank managed trust funds;
- Contribute to the preparation of briefs on private sector technical assistance, matters for senior management, for the Bank's annual report, etc;
- On a periodic basis, consolidate portfolio and TA performance related information as part of departmental and corporate reporting requirements;
- Contribute to the preparation of workshops and internal trainings to NSO Departments and other Bank staff on technical assistance;
- Organize information sessions and seminars on TA support functions and services;
- Prepare knowledge papers and briefs as required on TA;
- Provide guidance to Task Managers on TA design and implementation;
- In partnership with other NSO departments and counterparts/ donors/Governments, conduct and coordinate analytical work on the private sector development in RMCs, to shape the Bank’s private sector interventions in the various business segments and define areas of emphasis for the preparation of Country Strategy Papers (CSPs) and other relevant documents.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Finance, Economics or related field;
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or in strategic consultancy, in particular in SME development and technical assistance;
- Knowledge of MDB's private sector business will be an added advantage;
- First-hand knowledge and proven experience in private sector development in Africa with exposure to fragile situations;
- Strong experience with trust funds and donor funded operations;
- Sound knowledge of technical assistance products for private sector development;
- Experience with SME training and capacity building;
- Ability to respond swiftly to new situations and to anticipate new issues;
- Capacity to adapt to the rapidly evolving needs of the Bank’s NSOs ecosystem;
- Proven ability to acquire new skills (particularly in legal, investment, risk capital, technology and innovative sectors);
- Proven record of accomplishment in building and maintaining very strong and successful partnerships;
- Proven ability to effectively plan, direct, organize and administer diverse activities to ensure effective delivery of work program;
- Solid negotiation skills, diplomacy and credibility to deal with internal and external clients at all levels;
- Excellent spoken and written English or French languages, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.
13th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online