The institution was established in 1976 as College of Technology by the then Sokoto State Government and became Polytechnic of Sokoto State in 1980. With the creation of Kebbi State in 1991, the institution became The Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi and later Waziri Umaru Polytechnic in 2002. Following the take-over of the institution by the Federal Government in 2007, it became Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic. Presently, the institution operates on two campuses with four Colleges comprising 10 Schools and 28 academic departments with 51 accredited programmes.
The Governing Council of the Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Polytechnic Librarian of the institution, which will become vacant on 5th October, 2019:
Job Title: Polytechnic Librarian
Qualifications and Experience
- The Polytechnic Librarian is a Principal Officer and shall be responsible to the Rector for the day to-day running of the Libraries of the institution.
- He/She must be dedicated and loyal to the institution through the Council in the discharge of his/her duties.
Interested candidates are expected to possess the following academic qualification and personal qualities:
- Applicant should hold a good honours degree in Library and Information Science with a minimum of Second Class Honours from a recognized institution of higher learning plus at least seventeen (17) years of cognate experience; or a holder of Master's (MLS) degree from a recognized institution of higher learning plus at least fifteen (15) years of cognate experience; or a holder of Doctorate degree plus at least twelve (12) years of cognate experience in tertiary institution.
- Experience as a Chief Librarian for a period of not less than 5 years on the rank from the Polytechnic sector will be an advantage. In addition, he/she must provide evidence of registration with the relevant professional body.
- He/She must have academic papers published in reputable journals in addition to conference papers accepted for presentation at local/international conferences and or publication of textbooks.
Terms of Appointment
- The candidate must not be more than 60 years of age at the time of assumption of duty.
- He/she must demonstrate versatility in the management of staff and students in a tertiary institution.
- He/She must be a person of proven integrity, intellectually sound, professionally skillful, and knowledgeable in the Rules and Regulations of the Polytechnic System.
- He/She must also be vast in Public Service Rules, Financial Regulations and Computer application.
- Must be physically fit, morally sound, of impeccable character and free from financial embarrassment.
- He/She must be a person who is not likely to exhibit racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional sentiments in the discharge of his/her duties.
Conditions of Service
- The appointment is for an initial period of five (5) years and renewable, subject to satisfactory performance, for another term of five (5) years and no more.
- The Conditions of Service for the post is the same as obtained in all Federal Polytechnics in Nigeria. In addition, the appointee shall enjoy any other benefit attached to the position of a Principal Officer.
The salary shall be similar to the package approved by National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission for Polytechnic Librarian.
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are expected to submit twenty (20) typewritten copies of Applications including Curriculum Vitae and Photocopies of Certificates. The Curriculum Vitae shall cover the following:
- Full names (Surname first in Capital Letters)
- Date and Place of birth
- State of Origin and Local Government Area
- Marital Status
- Number and ages of children
- Current Contact Address including telephone number and e-mail address
- Educational institutions attended with dates
- Academic and professional qualifications obtained with dates
- Membership of professional bodies/Associations
- Honours and Distinction (if any)
- Conferences attended with dates
- Community Service
- Present employment to include status, salary, duties and any other relevant experience.
- Mission Statement/Brief proposal on repositioning the Registry for enhanced service delivery
- Other activities outside current employment
- Names and addresses of three referees.
Applicants should request their referees to forward confidential reports on them directly to the address below.
Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked "Application for the Post of Polytechnic Librarian" on top left hand corner and addressed to:
Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic,
P.M.B 1034 - Birnin Kebbi,
: Applicants will be required to present the original copies of their Certificates and other relevant Credentials if invited for interview.