African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Transport Engineer
Position N°: 50000993
The Hiring Department
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Hubs, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General (DG) and is provided with the relevant sector functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. Regional Hubs provide country offices in their regions with strategic direction and are responsible for operations, business development, project management and the overall effective implementation of the Bank's High 5s, namely: "Light up and Power Africa," "Feed Africa," "Industrialize Africa," "Integrate Africa" and "Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa."
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Manager, Private Sector, infrastructure and industrialization Division (RDGW.3), the incumbent will be in charge of all project management and loan administration activities related to transport infrastructure and urban development of the Bank Group's portfolio as defined in the country office functions and responsibilities, including the coordination of related programs with the Government, civil society and local bodies, the private sector and development partners.
The incumbent must:
- Contribute to the preparation and evaluation of strategies and policies for the development of infrastructure sectors (transport, urban infrastructure, etc.);
- Participate in the preparation of terms of reference and follow-up of studies relevant to the infrastructure sectors, contribute to the review of study reports and propose to the Bank actions to be taken ;
- Participate in missions relating to the identification, preparation and evaluation of studies, infrastructure projects / programs, urban development and reform support programs in these sectors in support of the Bank's strategy and contribute to the writing and reviewing of reports;
- Support heads of the executing agencies with advice and expertise on the issues, constraints and priorities of the aforementioned sectors, technical aspects of the projects and Bank rules and procedures, particularly with regard to the acquisition of property, works and services and disbursement procedures;
- Provide expertise in the review of bid evaluation reports and conduct the evaluation of technical and financial proposals for contracts related to project implementation;
- Follow up on recommendations made in the supervision, mid-term review, portfolio review and audit reports, with due attention to project monitoring / evaluation;
- Contribute to strengthening coordination and dialogue with other donors on activities related to infrastructure projects / programs;
- Represent the Bank in national conferences, seminars and workshops and participate in meetings and conferences dealing with issues related to the infrastructure sector;
- Participate in meetings and conferences related to donor coordination, sector approaches, which will guide the Country Office Manager, Sector Division and Management on strategic issues in the infrastructure and urban development sector;
- Contribute, with the structure in charge of monitoring public investments (DPSSI) in relation with the planning structures of the technical departments, to monitor and evaluate the impact of the projects on Togo's economic and social development.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least Master’s degree or its equivalent in Civil Engineering or Public Works.
- Have a minimum of at least five (5) years of relevant work experience preferably in a development finance institution, a project executing agency, or a state agency responsible for implementing projects financed by international donors.
- Capable of working under pressure and setting priorities within a dynamic framework of an international and multicultural environment. Ability to work and cooperate with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in supporting the private sector and PPP projects structuring will be an additional asset.
- Sound mastery of strategies aimed at achieving transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty; Good knowledge of key issues related to aid effectiveness, in particular, the harmonization of donor practices and their alignment with borrower systems.
- Knowledge of COSTAB, HDM.4 and mastery of SAP will be an asset.
- Capable of communicating effectively both in writing and orally in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset.
20th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.