The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Trades Helper (All Interested Candidates)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2019-031
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT-4
Series/Grade: LE - 1210 3
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-3
Telework Eligible: No
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM - FS is BB. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Only one Open-to category should remain:
All Interested Applicants / All Sources:
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
Basic Function of the Position
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Qualifications and Evaluations
- The incumbent reports directly to the Air conditioning Maintenance Foreman.
- S/he assists the technicians of the skilled trades in the performance of routine and preventive maintenance, new installations and demolition work.
- The Air conditioning Maintenance Foreman will assign the incumbent to any of the skilled trade shops on a daily basis to assist the skilled technicians with maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound/New Consulate Compound (NEC/NCC) office buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties.
- In addition to assisting the skilled trade technicians, s/he may be assigned tasks including material handling, painting, custodial type work, common laborer work, and grounds maintenance and gardening work.
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of maintenance or construction semi-skilled work experience in skilled trades such as masonry, mechanical (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Plumbing), electrical or carpentry, with significant focus on building systems.
- Job Knowledge: Must have a basic technical understanding of major building mechanical systems and equipment. Must be familiar with construction techniques and workplace safety, personal protective equipment (PPE) - how and when to use it.
- Education Requirements: Completion of Secondary School or received High School Diploma
Evaluations - This may be tested:
Benefits and Other Info
- Language: Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/ Writing in English
- Skills And Abilities: Must be a visionary, forward thinker, and quick understudy with an aptitude to learn so he/she can anticipate the materials and tools the skilled technician will need ahead of time.
- Ability to use the typical lot of hand tools, small handheld power tools, vacuum cleaners, gardening tools, and ladders; must be adept at keeping work sites free of clutter and debris, clean and neat; must use good safety practices and follow all safety requirements in execution of tasks and be able to use all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); ability to respond to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks; be able to take direction,be organized; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Must have a Nigeria valid driver’s license.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
- Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Important: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following Link.
Application Closing Date
- NGN N2,677,993 per annum.
- USD $23,233 per annum.
21st June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Next Steps/Important Notice
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- Driver’s License
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Abuja.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- For More Info: HR Section via: 09-461-4000 and [email protected]