The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Boat Pilot (SPEAR Boat Pilot)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2019-019RA
Series/Grade: LE - 1015 3
Work Schedule: Full-time - 48 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-3
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
Appointment Type: Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- The incumbent serves as a Boat Pilot for the Regional Security Office responsible for navigating boats with outboard motors in and around the Lagos waterways
- S/he is expected to perform basic preventive maintenance, checks and inspection of the boat, engines, and basic emergency equipment such as fire extinguisher, radios and horn
- The boat pilot position is expected to work 48 hours per week
- Direct supervision and daily work guidance is provided by the SPEAR Logistics Coordinator.
- Completion of Primary School
- Three years of professional experience in boat operation along the Lagos coast, and near off-shore waters is required.
- Knowledge of outboard motor operation and maintenance, as well as knowledge of Lagos, the Lagoon, Creeks, and near off-shore waters is required.
- Level II (Limited Knowledge) speaking/writing/reading English is required
- Level III (Good working Knowledge) speaking/reading Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa is required.
Skill and Abilities:
- Must have skill and abilities in boat handling, first and second boat maintenance procedures, outboard motor maintenance, boat instrument reading, refueling procedures, boat safety operations, inshore and offshore navigation. Ability to swim in the event of a water-based accident
- Must have a current and valid boat piloting license.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits and Other Info
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following Link.
Application Closing Date
- NGN3,213,591; USD $23,368 per annum
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Driver’s License (Boat Pilot License)
- Primary school Certificate
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance
- For More Info: HR Section, Tel: 01-461-4000, email: [email protected]