The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2019/77
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (MM/M&E)
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
- This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Program Support Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (MM/M&E) the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation and monitoring of reintegration support provided to the returning migrants under the EUTF-IOM joint initiatives for Migrant Protection and Reintegration for Nigeria. Page 2 / 3
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Assist in monitoring of the day-to-day case management of reintegration assistance.
- Assist the Senior Project Assistant M&E in preparing the beneficiary profile and needs assessment formats and ensure regular update.
- Assist in reviewing the conditions of the business plan as pertaining to the AVRR program.
- Conduct a field monitoring visits to the beneficiaries' areas of return, including community-based reintegration target areas.
- File and update all beneficiaries’ cases in a database for reference and monitoring including regular update of beneficiaries’ information in a database.
- Support the drafting of quality M&E reports, considering disaggregated gender data of the beneficiaries.
- Assist in submitting monthly monitoring reports on time.
- Assist the Senior Project Assistant M&E in the monitoring of all projects in collaboration with the AVRR team where necessary.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
- University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Management, Social Work, Demography and Statistics, International Development, Law and other related Social Sciences
- Minimum of two years of experience for those with University Degree and above or minimum of four years with high school diploma in the field of migration including operational and field experience or related field, preferably within the International Humanitarian Field;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory;
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage.
- Fluent in English, Working knowledge of local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Wednesday, 26th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications to: [email protected]
indicating position applied on subject of mail.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2019.77 Benin. Project Assistant - (MM/M&E)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.