Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Program Coordinator
Ref Id: 190001VJ
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Reporting to the Education Programme Manager, the person coordinates the delivery/ implementation of all education projectss in NorthEast.
- The Education Coordinator provides both operations and technical assistance and oversight on all aspects relating to Education in Emergencies projects.
- The job holder provides overall programmatic and operational coordination and management including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting both internally (within SCI) and externally (for/with partners). The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
Scope of Role:
Key Areas of Accountability
- Reports to: Education Programme Manager.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: EiE Officers.
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of the Education projects across Northeast in line with the design of the projects and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages in the management and implementation of Education Projects.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with the partners and other stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate LGEA, and State level engagements with partners and key stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Education Programme Manager & MEAL to ensure quality program delivery, documentation and reporting of progress.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- In close coordination with Education Programme Manager, provide ensure planning, development of detailed implementation plans, phased budgets, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is done.
- Overseeing the implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the projects staff and partners in developing annual plans, in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realised in line with the funding proposals.
- Support staff and partners to ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Provide guidance to the partners through the planning processes to develop plans that are cost effective and in line with EDUCATION Projects funding.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure the timely reviews and adjustments for the project operational and implementation plans and budgets as may be required from time to time.
Finance and Budget Management:
- Manage the Projects budget in coordination with Education Programme Manager and Field Finance Manager.
- Overseeing the budget performance to ensure that projects implementation is on course as per the detailed implementation plans and phased budgets.
- In coordination with the Programme Manager conduct budget monitoring, suggest necessary revisions and prepare draft reports.
- Ensure that the budget monitoring reports are responded to in time and with accurate information.
- Working closely with Education Programme Manager to ensure that partners are well guided, supported and their capacity built in sound financial management procedures.
Partner Development and Management:
- Participate in partner’s capacity assessment and identify capacity building needs for the EDUCATION Projects partners.
- Develop with the partner’s detailed implementation/work plans and phased budgets.
- Provide capacity building and support in implementation by partners.
- Monitor and follow up the implementation of the agreed work plan and budget to ensure that the program objectives are being realized in accordance to the program and partnership agreement and take the necessary actions for any identified deviations.
- Undertaking partners’ capacity assessment in order to identify capacity gaps and areas of support that the partners will require for effective implementation of the projects.
- Undertake visits to the partners on both programmatic and operational support.
- Ensure timely, accurate and high quality financial and programmatic reporting by the partners and take corrective actions for any non compliance by the partners.
Program and Financial Reporting.
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Manager in the preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Review all program financial reports ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standard met, prior to submission to management.
- Organize and facilitate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
- Overall Budget Vs Actual expenditure analysis and variance explanations.
Internal and external engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Education Program Manager and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the EiE Officers. .
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE officer through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for EiE Officers
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
Skills and Behaviors (our Values in Practice)
- In liaison with Programme Manager, Education Advisor and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Judgement and Decision-Making:
Academic Background; Experience & Person Specifications
- The Projects Coordinator will in close collaboration with the, Education Programme Manager, Technical Advisors, Team Leaders and Humanitarian Director be responsible for making quick decisions aimed at improving timely and quality delivery of the interventions. Some of the decisions that require consultations include but not limited to; major operational issues, technical guidance, policies/procedural changes and financial decisions.
Application Closing Date
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in Education. Experience in managing integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
- At least 5 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
5th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online