Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Coordinator
Ref Id: 190001VM
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Scope of role
- The Finance Coordinator role will support the Humanitarian Finance Manager in the relevant geographic area in emergency response programmes in delivering the Finance teams’ objectives in a timely and accurate manner. Supervise the Finance officer(s) and Finance Assistant(s) ensure that processing and reporting deadlines are fully met; financial controls and procedures are strictly adhered to by all field office staff
- The main responsibilities of this post will vary according to the terms of reference for each assignment. The post-holder is likely to undertake senior deployments.
Key areas of accountability
- Reports to: Humanitarian Finance Manager
- Dimensions : Direct reporting
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Finance Officers and Finance Assistants
- Technical responsibility: Yes
- Budget responsibility: None
Financial Reporting and Control:
- Prepare and Monitor accurate and timely submission of financial reports and attachments to members, donors and government regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for checking and verifying the food voucher e-payment to beneficiaries on all humanitarian cash transfer awards.
- Compile Monthly transaction listings for review by the budget holders and provide upon request by the budget holders.
- Provide the budget holders a monthly update on the budget variance analysis.
- Review and signs off purchase orders and represent Finance at Procurement Committee Meetings
- Budget Management, Monitoring and Control:
- Support the Humanitarian Finance Manager in the master budget development for the response
- Support budget holders in the proposal budget costings, creating Reporting Templates and DEAs
- Support budget holders in the understanding of budget reports including phasing and re-phasing of budgets
- Support budget holder in the realignment of budgets
- Support the Humanitarian Finance manager in the preparation of the field office Budget with potential gaps actively highlighted and communicated for inclusion in new proposals.
- Provide support to budget holders in reviewing and understanding monthly financial budget monitoring reports and follow up on any recommended action points.
- Provide support to Humanitarian Finance Manager with advice/training to budget holders on budget management and phasing.
Audit & Evaluation:
- Assist with the Internal and External audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation and TOR for the Audit
- Ensures humanitarian grants audits are conducted effective
- Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from Humanitarian Finance Manager
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Internal: All sub and area office staff.
- External: Bank/ Auditors
Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Leading and inspiring others – Delivering results – Developing self and others – Problem solving and decision making – Innovating and adapting – Applying technical and professional expertise – Working effectively with others – Communicating with impact - Networking
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Qualifications and Experience
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/ Finance /Business Administration or other relevant professional qualification with 3-5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Extensive experience, including first phase responses, with NGOs in an international emergency environment or in fragile states.
- Knowledge of the requirements and experience managing grants from the major emergency donors including budgeting, eligibility issues, compliance management, and reporting.
- Experience of and well-developed skills in staff management and supervision. Proven strong coaching and capacity building skills.
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, financial systems).
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Proven experience in financial management and producing appropriate management information to support strategy development and decision-making by budget holders and programme implementers
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams.
- Experience of managing or supporting programmes in each stage of the project cycle, including development of funding proposals, budgeting, technical and financial monitoring in the context of grants/restricted funding sources.
Application Closing Date
- Experience of Project Management, M&E Management or Funding Coordination would be a appreciated
- Fluent in English
5th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online