The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of HarvestPlus seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at its country office in Ibadan:
Job Title: Communication Officer
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Internal Communications and Knowledge Management Develop and direct the implementation of the communications strategy for HarvestPlus, ensuring integration and alignment with the country office strategy, and targeting key audiences to build profile and support for HarvestPlus work;
- Provide technical, editorial, documentation and communication support during project events such as Nutritious Food Fair, farmers' days etc;
- Develop compelling stories - features, photo and video stories, and events that reinforce HarvestPlus brand, while managing regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information through effective internal communications to bring to life HarvestPlus work;
- Manage delivery of core communications resources and assets, including reports, briefings, factsheets, profiles and coordinate production (design and printing) in line with HarvestPlus brand guidelines, and manage distribution;
- Develop relevant documents, including strategies, proposals, donor reports and other technical documents, to ensure proper reporting with well written and clear communication messages;
- Work with relevant staff to develop communication materials including press releases, newsletters, articles, website pages, brochures, banners, posters, guidelines etc, to support partners and investors;
- Provide technical advice and support to unit leaders and other staff in planning and developing relevant information and communications products and organise inhouse media training for staff as necessary;
- Develop and evaluate feasibility, efficiency and quality of Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials;
- External and Media Engagement
- Maintain positive profile through impactful media and outreach campaigns across key external online and offline communications channels;
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers, bloggers and columnists, as well as other media influencers, and mobilize them for HarvestPlus events;
- Monitor the media landscape with special focus on brand and image attacks and work with appropriate internal stakeholders to formulate responses as required.
- Limit and prevent crisis communications by providing frequent updates and critical messaging on FAQs;
- Oversee and manage the program’s digital media strategy, ensuring that website and social media channels content are updated and engaging;
- Contribute to communication capacity-building for partners and stakeholders, including developing training programmes and guidelines to support and ensure partners can detect, shape and tell their stories of social change and ensure these stories are further incorporated to wider HarvestPlus communications;
- Proactively identify media opportunities and, in close liaison with HarvestPlus partners, plan and implement media events including press conferences
- Oversee monitoring of the current and future news agenda to identify and exploit communications opportunities, manage press enquires and pursue opportunities for promoting HarvestPlus;
- Oversee management of media contact and communications database and execute and monitor media strategies and activities, including press conferences, one-to-one briefings, press releases, and other written materials;
- Link HarvestPlus Nigeria advocacy campaigns to other regional and international campaigns, and keep stakeholders and partners informed on various HarvestPlus activities;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Master's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Agricultural extension or related field with minimum of 3 years work experience in Communications, Branding Media and Public Relations
The ideal candidate must have:
- Deep understanding of marketing and communications principles – strategy & execution
- Good Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook applications, Cloud data storage tools like Google drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc
- Social media knowledge and experience - adept at using major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Proven skills in writing, editing and proofreading, concept and brand creation
- The ability to effectively convey programme goals, enlist partnerships, and work with a range of programme and external stakeholders
- High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability, adaptability, and professional maturity
- Strong command of English – possess excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, client management, social skills
- Experience working with diverse team including web developers, journalists, graphic artists
- Working experience with DFID, BMGF and USAID funded programmes
Application Closing Date
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
23rd July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.