Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Specialist
Job ID: 13-10741
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN - Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A512 - Nigeria CaTSS
Reports To: State Team Leader (STL)
- The objective of the Laboratory Specialist is to provide technical support on leadership of the Care And Treatment for Sustained Support (CaTSS) laboratory program in the state in a manner that strategically support the maintenance and uninterrupted delivery of quality HIV/AIDS and TB care and treatment services integrated into the host country health system, through technical assistance to be provided in close collaboration with the Government of Nigeria (GoN) at the state, and local government levels in five President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) - sustained response states.
Qualifications and Experience
- The Laboratory Systems Specialist will be required to support the laboratory systems for sustaining patient-centered care and treatment services for HIV/AIDS and TB. This will involve innovative, evidence-based, state-specific, and cost effective technical assistance partnership approach that will allow state and local governments to increasingly assume overall HIV and TB responsibilities. S(he) will be responsible for strengthening laboratory systems in line with MSH broader health systems focus.
- In liaison with the Country Office Laboratory Team, S(he) ensure all MSH-supported laboratories in the State provide quality laboratory services throughout the year by ensuring that all lab equipment is functional at all time and maintaining zero-stock out time for all reagents and RTKs.
- Establish strong collaboration with the Laboratory Directorate in the SMOH, State Hospital Management Board/Bureau for increased state government ownership and funding for laboratory system improvements that leads to sustainability, starting with the state governments setting goals and benchmarks with CaTSS, co-designing, and then co-developing and co-monitoring laboratory activities with the project and gradually taking responsibility.
- Specifically support the SMOH, State Laboratory Quality Management Task Teams and health facilities and continuous quality improvement programs evidenced by the number of CaTSS-supported laboratories that are prepared towards attaining national accreditation by the MLSCN
- Provide capacity building on basic laboratory management, including planning, budgeting, and integration of laboratory activities.
- Ensure health facility laboratories implement GoN-approved diagnostic protocols, quality control procedures, significant biosafety and biosecurity practices.
- Ensure that all MSH-supported laboratories carry out quality assurance functions, including but not limited to HIV RTCQI, IQA, EQA and PT activities, the availability of quality documents and records.
- Take programmatic responsibility for the functioning of the laboratory information system (LIS) whether paper or electronic at the state level as well as work closely with State Supply Chain Management Specialists to ensure prompt submission of reports from health facilities as required by PEPFAR, MOH and MSH (monthly, quarterly, and as required).
- Contribute to development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to laboratory management of HIV/AIDS.
- Represent MSH on issues of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS at the state level.
Application Closing Date
- Minimum of B.MLS/B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science.
- Preferably with a Post-graduate degree in public health/health science.
- The Medical Laboratory Scientist, must be registered with Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) and licensed to practice in Nigeria.
- Significant experience (at least 4 - 6 years) in laboratory diagnosis of AIDS, tuberculosis and other opportunistic infections and laboratory monitoring of clinical status of people living with HIV essential.
- Significant expertise in laboratory Quality Management Systems.
- Familiarity with local and WHO/AFRO Accreditation process is a plus
- Organized, solution and objective-oriented, methodical individual with strong motivation for service, who enjoys working in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with excellent computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, flexible and open to extra working hours if necessary.
- Very good negotiation and communication skills and ability to express views and ideas.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data.
- Demonstrated experience in writing reports on key performance indicators and making presentations.
19th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online