Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Operations - PLANE
Project Overview and Role
- PLANE is a DFID funded educataion programme focused on the North Western & South Western states of Nigeria. It is aimed at influencing policy making and strengthening education systems at both the National and Federal level . The programme is set to run for 8 years (2019-2027) and has a total investment of £170m.
- PLANE’s overall objective is to enable a more inclusive and effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children.
- Improve teaching techniques, learning approaches and materials
- Improve state systems- personnel management, planning and financial management
- Improve the performance of non-state systems/actors to delivering basic education
- Effective mining and communication of results to allow for citizen engagement and education service delivery
- Improve access to education and provide support to marginalized children affected by conflicts
- Improve community engagement with education service delivery and evaluation
- The Senior Manager, Operations has overall in-country operational responsibility for the project.
- S/he will lead on the day to day operations aspect of the programme in accordance to the client Head Contract and developing, implementing, and managing systems to ensure the project is compliant with DFID policies, rules and regulations, e.g. DFID SMART Rules. This will involve oversight of the human resources, administrative, security, logistics, procurement, transportation and contracts management requirements of the programme.
- This role reports to the Team Leader and will work closely with the Palladium Project Manager.
- Provides overall management of administrative operations, including, logistics, procurement, human resources, information technology, property and security;
- Drives set-up of office, systems and processes during Inception Phase and the onboarding of key operational staff;
- Oversees sound and effective systems for project administration and operations, including subcontracts, procurement and compliance;
- Coordinates and manages the mobilization of short-term and long-term technical assistance and administrative staff;
- Work closely with team and Palladium to identify and manage ongoing risks and operational issues across the programme;
- Manages operations across project offices and oversees the team of operations and other support staff within the programme.
Strategic and Operational Planning:
- Working closely with the Senior Manager, Finance, this position ensures preparation of the strategic plans; operational work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans, and other plans as required is conducted timely in line with Palladium and DFID timelines and requirements;
- Ensures appropriate consultation in the development of operational plans (including consultation with the Project Manager, the Client, Consortium partners and other project stakeholders);
- With the Senior Manager, Finance jointly monitors the implementation of approved budgets, in line with DFID requirements on budget and forecast.
- Provides operational guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables;
- Assumes responsibility for administrative, operational and financial support required for the effective implementation of work plans on time, within budget, meeting client and stakeholder expectations and contractually compliant;
- Supports Team Leader in maintaining an up to date logs of issues and risks; works to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate;
- Supervise and ensure value for money in programme planning and implementation including in contracting, procurement and management of grantees, sub-contractors and service providers;
- Ensuring compliance with other regulatory requirements relating to the employment of staff and all assets procured or leased by the project;
Human Resource Management:
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective and professional management of the operations team (including administrative, and HR staff);
- Leads, guides, mentors and manages the performance of direct reports and ensures appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other operations staff;
- Participates as required in HR management including but not limited to recruitment and contracting, performance management, disciplinary and grievance proceedings, and learning and development;
Logistics and Administration:
- Ensures consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommend modifications;
- Overseeing the preparation of subcontracts and hiring management of subcontractors
- Ensuring that the general office facilities are running smoothly;
- Negotiation, preparation and management of all contracts of suppliers and service providers relating to programme operations;
- Ensure that adequate and functional systems are in place to manage and monitor all programme logistics including programme related hotel bookings, travels (including flight reservations) etc.
- Coordinate the programme logistical planning cycle ensuring that adequate steps are taken by all relevant parties to plan proactively for all programme activities;
- Oversee programme procurement and adherence to Corporate SOPs
- Ensures the project operational activities provide and demonstrate good value for money;
Application Closing Date
- Relevant Academic qualifications in a related field;
- Relevant experience, with specific experience managing large-scale, complex, international and donor-funded programs;
- Extensive people management experience including setting clear performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation, mentoring and coaching;
- Solid understanding of DFID’s approach to Value for Money (VfM);
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programmes;
- Strong track record in project operations or business management and administration;
- Excellent leadership, representation and organisational skills;
- High level strategic thinker;
- Strong management and people handling skills;
- Ability to operate in complex situations;
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organisations/institutions;
- Ability to communicate effectively and negotiate persuasively with high level decision makers
- Results oriented and ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines;
- Fluency in English.
9th August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online