Solina Centre for International Development and Research (SCIDaR) is an indigenous nonprofit institution that works to accelerate positive health, social and economic reforms through high quality program design and implementation, capacity building, implementation science research and knowledge generation, as well as agenda setting and stakeholder convening across human development sectors. Our work seeks to benefit primarily disadvantaged and under-served populations. We implement transformation programs in Nigeria and are currently expanding our footprint to several West and Central African countries. We are building a competent world class management team to enable us achieve our strategic growth objectives in a sustainable way.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Knowledge Management, Research & Training
Description and Objectives
Institutional leadership responsibilities
- The Head, Knowledge Management, Research and Training (KMR&T) will provide overall leadership to three functions within the organization – Knowledge Management; Learning and Research; and Training & Capacity Building.
- She/he will be ultimately responsible for strategically positioning SCIDaR as a learning organization that generates evidence for policy and programs, both in the context of SCIDaR-implemented programs, and on broader topical issues that significantly impact our target sectors and populations.
- The incumbent will develop and lead best in class KMR&T function that will enable the achievement of the organization’s strategic goals.
- As an institutional leader and a core part of the Executive Management Team, the incumbent will be required to contribute substantially to organizational strategy and management in ways including, but not limited to:
- Identification and execution of institutional strategic priorities for SCIDaR that align with the mission and values, and that are responsive to the evolving trends in the human capital development sectors;
- Support for executive management as needed with institutional representation; business development and brand management; planning and budgeting; people development, and general leadership and oversight for the organization.
Also as a department head, he/she will be required to provide effective leadership for the department in ways including, but not limited to:
- Working with executive management to achieve a fit-for-purpose but efficient department, including a revised organogram and staffing / capability requirements;
- Identification of strategic priorities for each function in the department, and development of costed annual departmental implementation plans;
- Custody of departmental policies, processes and tools, including periodic updates and revisions as necessary to meet institutional needs. These include SCIDaR’s confidentiality and information security policy; data management and use policy, research and institutional learning policy; training policy; etc.;
- Management and supervision of departmental staff, including supporting recruitment and retention, assignment of job functions and KPIs, learning and capacity building, and performance management.
Organizational Learning and Research:
- Development of a robust organizational learning and research agenda for SCIDaR, and periodic updates in line with institutional and contextual priorities;
- Conceptualization, planning and implementation of research projects, either as standalone studies or embedded within SCIDaR programs, using rigorous and acceptable methodologies, data collection and analysis, and publications;
- Development and dissemination of research outputs and knowledge products, including manuscripts, policy briefs, white papers, research reports; etc.
- Working with Corporate Communications to organize and/or participate in appropriate dissemination and knowledge sharing forums targeting relevant local and international stakeholders and end-users, such as partner organizations, government, civil society, donors, etc.
- Working with Principals to seek out and pursue research funding and partnership opportunities to establish a strong research portfolio and culture for SCIDaR;
- Conducting semi-independent periodic reviews and data analysis for programs, and specific corporate functions (e.g., HR, admin) to identify lessons and improvement opportunities;
- Establishing strategic relationships with other knowledge-based institutions to facilitate access to emerging knowledge and innovations relevant to SCIDaR’s operations;
- Development of SCIDaR knowledge and information management policies and plans to achieve organizational goals;
- Building creative and appropriate systems, processes and tools (physical and electronic) for knowledge management, including appropriate systems for storage/archiving and retrieval of research and program data and information;
- Educating all SCIDaR staff on knowledge management routines and working with management to achieve compliance by all staff;
- Supporting program M&E teams by providing input into program M&E frameworks and monitoring plans;
- Maintaining institution-wide databases of program data, and working with Program staff to develop program achievement dashboards for the management, board and clients.
Training and Capacity Building:
- Implementing a training program for SCIDaR staff in research methodology and scientific writing; and work with interested staff to conduct research projects and prepare publishable manuscripts;
- Developing and managing an external training service line for SCIDaR as a means to expand service offerings for clients and generate additional revenue for the organization;
- Working with all program teams to systematically incorporate and measure client capacity building on all programs, using a standardized framework;
- Compelling evidence of interest in and commitment to the mission of SCIDaR;
- Commitment to helping build the organization for a minimum of two years in the role;
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking, problem solving and thought leadership abilities;
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Solid people manager, able to manage and promote inclusive and diverse teams within the organization;
- Fast learner, open to learning from peers, subordinates and supervisors collaboratively and at a rapid pace;
- Results oriented performer, experienced in developing and tracking self and team with clear KPIs;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Evidence of ability to deliver on all institutional and technical requirements above.
Education and Experience:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Academic training: PhD or other advanced research degree in a Human Development-related field, including a health field, economics, management, science, statistics, or similar relevant field;
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in academia, including research, training and grants/proposal writing; Must have authored multiple peer-reviewed articles in reputable journals; experience designing and managing databases and advanced statistical data analysis capabilities using STATA, SPSS, SAS or other software is required.
- Consulting experience: in strategy, research, business, international development in reputable consulting firm a major plus.
Application Closing Date
- SCIDaR is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Monday 22nd July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an up-to-date CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected]
the CV / Cover Letter must include email addresses and phone numbers of three (3) professional referees who can speak to the candidate’s work ethics and capabilities;
- The email should be formatted as such: Application: Role to which applied_first name last name_date of submission. Example: Application: Head, Knowledge Management, Research & Training_John Doe_June 12, 2019
- Candidates are encouraged to only apply for positions for which they meet the eligibility criteria specified above.