Solina Group - Solina Centre for International Development and Research (SCIDaR) is an indigenous nonprofit institution that works to accelerate positive health, social and economic reforms through high-quality program design and implementation, capacity building, implementation science research and knowledge generation, as well as agenda setting and stakeholder convening across human development sectors. Our work seeks to benefit primarily disadvantaged and under-served populations. We implement transformation programs in Nigeria and are currently expanding our footprint to several West and Central African countries. We are building a competent world-class management team to enable us sustainably achieve our strategic growth objectives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Description and Objectives
Technical Responsibilities - Program Management
- The Program Manager will provide technical and operational leadership for the execution of assigned SCIDaR programs
- This will involve day-to-day management of all program workflows and provision of direct oversight for Program Officers executing assigned program activities
- She/he will bear ultimate responsibility for all team deliverables and lead program-related interactions with primary clients as well as other relevant stakeholders
- The Program Manager will also be responsible for providing program status updates and supporting the Program Director for financial planning.
Program design and planning:
- Provide technical leadership for the development of diagnostic methodologies and tools to understand system issues and develop insights for clients
- Lead the design of program interventions to address systems challenges identified from diagnostics
- Lead the development of comprehensive program results frameworks, risk logs, work plans, budgets, and monitoring processes
- Lead day-to-day execution of program activities and manage workflows of assigned SCIDaR Program Officers
- Monitor program risks and troubleshoot program challenges, identify and implement creative solutions.
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results
- Lead all program activities and be the primary contact point for donor program officers and other stakeholders
- Facilitate routine technical problem-solving sessions with the primary client and relevant stakeholders to brainstorm implementation challenges and align on decisions to guide the path forward
Program monitoring and reporting:
- Regularly monitor and review program activities to ensure quality, accountability, and contractual compliance with agreed deliverables and performance indicators as per the scope of work (see Section VI - Appendix)
- Lead the preparation of monthly/quarterly technical and financial reports (the latter will be in collaboration with the designated Finance Officer)
- Monitor program expenditure and ensure efficient utilization of program resources; liaise with Program Director to make adjustments to program activities in-line with budget realities as required
- Facilitate structured mid-term and end-term program evaluations
Program staff development and team building:
- Facilitate program onboarding briefing with the program team at the beginning of a new program (or new staff upon joining an existing program) to communicate the program expectations, staff roles, deliverables and performance indicators
- Support individual team members to identify and document learning goals at the beginning of the program (or new staff upon joining an existing program), and facilitate feedback sessions to track their progress
- Coordinate technical capacity building activities for program staff, and assess their competency gains
- Facilitate periodic (at least monthly) individual performance reviews and provide feedback to program staff on their strengths and re-direction needs as is it applies to program activities and deliverables
- Coordinate all team management issues, including but not limited to team communication, data storage, and sharing modalities, team workstation, facilities, and other logistics, team bonding activities, etc.
Organizational learning and documentation:
Institutional Leadership Responsibilities
- Lead the documentation of the best practices in the development of programs, prepare sets of necessary materials, tools, and other resources
- Coordinate routine archiving of all program documentation on the organization’s shared drive, and oversee cleanup of all documents at the close of programs
- Participate in periodic organization-wide events to share critical insights from the program with other managers and directors
As an institutional leader and a part of SCIDaR’s Management Team, the Program Manager will be required to contribute substantially to organizational strategy and management in ways including, but not limited to:
- Identification and execution of institutional strategic priorities for SCIDaR that align with the mission and values, and that are responsive to the evolving trends in the human capital development sectors;
- Support for executive management as needed with institutional representation; business development and brand management; planning and budgeting; people development, and general leadership and oversight for the organization.
Business/Proposal Development Support:
- Lead the technical development of proposals as assigned by the Program Director; including background data gathering and research for proposal efforts, participating in brainstorming meetings to pool strategies and ideas and writing-up technical components of proposals
- Identify opportunities, liaise, and develop networks with government, non-governmental organizations, partners, and donors to promote an understanding of SCIDaR’s work and ensure the sustainability of SCIDaR operations in collaboration with Program Director
- Provide support and training on proposal development processes to build the capacity of staff
- Participate as required in the comprehensive in-house professional development program that includes periodic training needs assessment; new staff onboarding and orientation; in-class training sessions; staff mentoring program; etc.
- Support Program Directors to anticipate project staffing requirements and planning staff placements to satisfy both employee professional development needs and project needs;
- Participate in the reviews of current SCIDaR staff performance evaluation framework for appropriateness for cadres of technical staff
Procurement and vendor management:
- Review all program procurement requests from Program Officers and provide recommendations for the Project Director’s approval in-line with SCIDaR’s procurement regulations
Travel and logistics management:
- Review and approve all program team travel in-line with SCIDaR’s travel policies to ensure safety and efficiency for all staff
- Information and Communication Technology:
- Request ICT infrastructure and support services required for the effective execution of program activities
- Ensure deployed ICT infrastructure and support services are used and maintained appropriately while in the custody of the program team
Education and Experience
- Compelling evidence of interest in and commitment to the mission of SCIDaR;
- Commitment to helping build the organization for a minimum of two years in the role;
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking, problem-solving and thought leadership abilities;
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Reliable people manager, able to manage and promote inclusive and diverse teams within the organization;
- Secure relationship manager, highly impactful influencing and persuasion skills;
- Fast learner, open to learning from peers, subordinates, and supervisors collaboratively and at a rapid pace;
- Results oriented performer, experienced in developing and tracking self and team with clear KPIs;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills,
Appendix (Program-specific documentation)
- Academic training: Minimum of a Master's Degree in International Development, Policy and Strategy Development, Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Management or similarly relevant field;
- Experience: Minimum of seven years of progressive experience implementing development programs, with a good understanding of the operations of the government, donors, and other development organizations
- Consulting expertise: in strategy, systems strengthening in a major consulting firm a plus.
- Upon engagement on any SCIDaR program, the Program Manager will co-develop or align on program specific scope of work and deliverables with the Program Director and the client
- The following documents will then guide the development of program-specific KPIs for the Program Manager, which will be tracked in addition to the technical responsibilities captured in Section III above.
The following documents will serve as reference material for each program:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Program results framework and workplan
- Program budget
- Stakeholder engagement framework and communication plan
Application Closing Date
- SCIDaR is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Monday 22nd July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an up-to-date CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected]
the CV / Cover Letter must include email addresses and phone numbers of three (3) professional referees who can speak to the candidate’s work ethics and capabilities.
- The email should be formatted as such: Application: Role to which applied_first name last name_date of submission. Example: Application: Program Manager_John Doe_June 12, 2019
- Candidates are encouraged to only apply for positions for which they meet the eligibility criteria specified above.