Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: Administrative Officer
Length of Contract: 5-years
Role type: National
Travel involved: No
Child safeguarding level: TBA
Reporting to: Line Manager: State Team Lead
Direct Reports: Office Clerk, Driver
Dotted line manager:N/A
Country and Project Background
Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible. Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria.
Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners. The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SuNMaP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
The anticipated follow on project, SuNMaP2 has been designed to strengthen the management and technical capacity of NMEP, State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) and their stakeholders to drive the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan, 2014 to 2020 and achieve its ambitious targets. This will include short term technical assistance and technical assistance embedded in NMEP in key areas of programme management, evidence generation and use, and capacity building across all project outputs and ultimately reducing Nigeria’s malaria burden and strengthening the Government of Nigeria’s health systems capacity to ensure long term programme and impact sustainability.
Scope of Work
- The purpose of this position is to provide Administrative support to the SuNMaP 2program office in the state
- The officer will lead the everyday administration of the office with support from the project staff.
Key Working Relationships
- The State Administrative Officer will provide general Administrative and logistics support to the Program office and ensure efficient use, functioning and management of the office
- This will include to have an updated data bank of consultants, vendors and stakeholders
- The officer will ensure an effective maintenance system of all office equipment, including generator, photocopiers, computers and its networks, printers and other office assets.
- The AO will support the SuNMaP 2 state program office and will reports to the State Team Lead
- He will work together with the state team and country office staff in planning, budget, scheduling and coordination of project activities
- He will also liaise with relevant country office staff to ensure resources for scheduled activities are available on time and to required standard, this will include quantification of printed materials ensure logistics are put in place.
Office Administration - 70%:
- Lead the day to day administration of the office with support from staff
- Oversee the management and maintenance of the office assets, utilities, office equipment, consumables and supplies
- Responsible for recording and updating of office assets in the asset register
- Providing monthly reports on state activities as it relates to the admin, procurement and logistics to the office manager at the country office
- Lead in setting up a filling system for the office, ensuring ease of storage and retrieval of documents
- Develop and maintain effective maintenance procedure for all IT equipment and computer in the office
- Responsible for overseeing all logistic arrangements including maintaining an updated record of events, travel itineraries of staff and short term consultants (as applicable) to ensure proper delivery and satisfaction of service to the projects;
- Responsible for procurements ofassets to the state offices in line with MC procurement policies as well as vendor management and other service providers contracting (including security and IT)
- Will ensure updated records and valid documentation all of vendors. And other service providers and consultants are registered on NAV
- Responsible for negotiations with hotels, travel and transport services and oversee general logistics for field/state activities
- Liaises with Country Office onadministrativeand logistics difficultiesand other office maintenance issues
- Line manages the officer driver, by providing supervision, coaching and mentoring support in developing vehicle movement plan, implementation and review
- The officer will check the vehicle log sheet and driver’s time sheet and sign off on them monthly.
Programme Activities - 30%:
Qualifications and Experience
- Coordinate internal and external stakeholder or technical meetings, workshops, seminars, includingall travel and accommodations arrangements
- Lead the compilation of participants list (i.e. CHWs, health facility staff, team supervisors, ward supervisors, state, and LGA supervisors), during MDA and other project events
- Responsible for contracting shortterm consultants in state office in close communication with the HR manager at the country office and in line with the procurement policy
- Responsible for coordinating theadministration and logistics support for the programme office onall field relatedactivitiesin the state
- In line with the programme budget and working closely with the finance officer, ensure value for money of all procurements for programme activities carried out in the state.
- Bachelor's Degree in Administration, Social Sciences, Project Management or similar
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a related role
- Previous experience within the INGO sector and in a related role.
Work-based Skills and Competencies
- Person resident in and working experience in the State of Assignment
- An in-depth experience in similar positions/assignment
- Ability to work independently in an organized manner but within an integrated team.
- Highly numerate and analytical
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong Microsoft office suite skill
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Budget development, work-plan Implementation and Expense reporting.
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic visioninto an operational model
- Proven writing skills in English
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally sensitive setting
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word and Excel
- Knowledge of use of database tools will be an added advantage
- Skill in MS Access will be an added advantage
- Proven team-building and representational skills
LEVEL B - Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills:
- Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work / responsibilities when needed to achieve results
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
- Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and Use of Information:
LEVEL A - Gathers information and identifies problems effectively:
- Interprets basic written information
- Attentive to detail
- Follows guidelines to identify issues
- Recognises problems within their remit
- Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and Communications:
LEVEL B - Fosters two-way communication:
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checksown understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively.
Collaboration and Partnering:
LEVEL B - Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people.
Leading and Motivating People:
LEVEL C - Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports:
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Develops the skills and competences of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties.
LEVEL B - Remains professional under external pressure:
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes / mistakes.
Living the Values:
LEVEL B - Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers:
- Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
- Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values.
Strategic Planning and Thinking and Sector Awareness:
LEVEL A - Manages own workload effectively:
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives.
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click Here for More Information (PDF)