Search for Common Ground - We are Searchers. We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict. It’s our purpose- our call to action. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Outreach and Media Coordinator
Kogi and Bayelsa
Duration: August - December 2019
- Search for Common Ground seeks a professional, motivated, and creative expert to serve as Media Coordinator to support implementation of the media component of an Electoral Violence Mitigation project, which is part of a larger project on increasing the participation by marginalized groups in Nigerian political processes. The media coordinator shall be supervised by the Project Manager and in close coordination with the Project Coordinators, Communication Coordinator and the Project Officer.
- S/He will lead the implementation of state level media activities in Kogi and Bayelsa with support from the Media Manager and the Project Lead.
- S/He will also coordinate the conflict sensitive journalism training, social media monitoring and support state level networks of journalists. This includes coordinating the media network, facilitating media advisory sessions, working with the Early Warning Analyst and the Project Officer to track hate speech and develop peace messages.
- S/He will be responsible for media mapping, mobilizing state TV and radio stations, print media and social media influencers to support state level Media Peace Day.
- S/He will report to the Project lead with a functional reporting line to the Media and Communications Manager
- Develop a model for tracking and reporting hate speech across EECSP project states; Kogi and Bayelsa.
- Work with the project officer to monitor traditional and social media to identify hate speech contents targeted at women, electoral trends and risks nationally and across the project states.
- Develop monthly monitoring reports on hate speech trends including recommendation for preventing hate speech in both traditional and social media platforms, shares them with media network members and other relevant actors and stakeholders.
- Coordinate media network in the project states and ensure oversight through periodic visits and advisories to ensure quality media activities.
- Provide reviews of public dialogues and discussion topics on preventing electoral violence to SFCG’s media network.
- Coordinate the conduct of listenership survey and media mapping in Kogi state for SFCG media network to identify range of topics bordering hate speeches, electoral trends and response mechanisms to electoral violence.
- Lead the development of creative peace messages that would cover a range of topics bordering mitigating hate speeches, violence against women in elections, identifying and reporting warning signs on electoral violence, among others and share them with radio and TV partners for weekly broadcast.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Develop activity reports and contribute to quarterly reports
- Contribute to final project reporting.
- Develop a hate speech tracking model
- Identify hate speech contents in traditional and social media platforms
- Develops a monthly report on hate speech and electoral violence trends.
- Lead in the set-up and coordination of the media network.
- Develop advisories, review public dialogues and discussion topics for SFCG media networks
- Develop and disseminate a monthly report on preventing hate speech.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in Journalism, Humanities, Social sciences, Peace and conflict Studies, Development Studies or other related areas. Master’s degree is added advantage.
- At least 3 years of experience in coordinating media projects, programs and media teams; including television production;
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the production of television programs, feature films and/or documentaries;
- Track record working with media organizations including television and radio and newspaper; media networks at the state or national levels.
- Experience covering or working on election issues.
- Track record in delivering effective media/communications/advocacy strategies and developing media advisories.
- Advanced communication- written and verbal- and presentation skills
Other Relevant Requirements:
Application Closing Date
- Experience working with civil society organizations, government agencies, private sector companies
- Experience of partnership building, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing and maintaining strong partnerships;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills;
- Organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to responding flexibly to opportunities and requests sometime with little notice;
9th August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.