African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Communication Officer & Writer, PCER.1
Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Position N°: 50093759
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Divison:
- The purpose of the Communication and External Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the incumbent will implement editing guidelines within PCER.1, as well as define an editorial policy for the Bank
- Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the Communication Officer & Writer has the following responsibilities:
- Researching, writing, and editing content for online and external publication that reflects current African Development Bank practice and is of the quality and scope that meets the objectives of the Bank’s external and internal stakeholders
- Ensure that all information from organizational units is reviewed, edited and posted onto the Internet web platform and other designated channels.
- Proactively seeks to create content and information on the organization in various formats.
- Draft press releases, media-style briefs, web content, talking points, event notices and briefs in keeping with Bank style.
- Provide editorial and media coverage of high-level events, projects, programmes, initiatives and success stories for posting on the external website.
- Act as a news desk officer, researching and writing news and feature stories
- Respond to requests from the media and solicit press interest in a range of Bank projects, products and issues.
- Maintain and update media contact lists/databases,
- Other communications and external relations duties as needed.
Application Closing Date
- A Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related subject
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in print (news agency or publication), with at least 3 years as a news writer with strong media relations skills.
- At least 2 years’ experience in multilateral organizations
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex messages and tailor them into simple, clear and non-academic language for different audiences.
- Excellent command of English or French; ability to write strong copy and produce well-written press releases, feature articles, and publications.
- Experience in the fields of finance, economics, agriculture or human development is welcome.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work in a multicultural, multilingual environment.
- Ability to undertake relevant research and analysis and work in a fast-paced environment newsroom environment
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is an asset.
31st August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.