The Governing Counal on behalf of Gombe State University, Gombe hereby announces that the position of Vice - Chancellor of the University will soon be vacant.
In accordance with the provisions of the Universities Laws First Schedule Sub- Section Seven, the Council invites applications from suitably qualified distinguished Professors with cognate experience in University teaching, research and administration for the post.
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice - Chancellor
Qualification and Qualities of the Candidate
- The Vice - Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University. Among other functions, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance, and administration of the university.
- Be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the university and for ensuring the proper enforcement of Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations.
- Be responsible for staff and students discipline in the University.
- Regulate the admission of the students in accordance with the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
Interested candidates for the position of Vice - Chancellor, Gombe State University, Gombe are expected to be:
Conditions of Service
- Distinguished Professors with demonstrated ability to provide exemplary academic leadership and proven managerial capacity.
- The candidate should be of high moral standards and impeccable character and proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity and must be able to ensure effective utilization of limited resources for maximum public good.
- Candidates should demonstrate irrevocable commitment to the cardinal values of merit, consistency and fairness as operating principles and can apply these across the board.
- Candidates should be information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient, and be committed to the development of ICT into the University programmes and services.
- Candidates should be able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, and further uplift the academic stature of the university.
- Candidates should be able to relate effectively with government, non - governmental organization, the alumni, the local community and foster linkage with institutions within and outside Nigeria.
- The candidate should be a person who is not likely to foster personal, ethnic, political, religious or other factional interest and who is also capable of inspiring the members of university community towards the attainment of its goals.
- The candidate should have a good understanding of the Vision arid Mission of the University.
- The candidate should be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to command the respect as well as loyalty of members of staff, students and unversity community
- Candidate should be in a position to ensure the enforcement of the university laws and regulations.
- Candidate must be of excellent physical and mental health.
- Candidate should not be above the age of sixty five (65) years at the point of assumption of duty.
- The salaries and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice - Chancellor in Nigerian Universities as determined by Council and Government from time to time.
Application Closing Date
- The Vice - Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
20th September, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to note and comply with the following conditions:
- Each application letter (20 copies) should he accompanied by 20 copies of the candidate's detailed “Curriculum Vitae” (CV) signed and dated by the candidate, The CV must contain, among others, the candidate's name in full, age, marital status, nationality, current address including email and phohe numbers, educational qualification with dates, number of PhD candidates supervised and graduated, research output, academic and non - academic recognition, professional achievement, scholarly publications in renowned national and international journals and books with dates.
- Each application should be accompanied by a certificate of birth orstatutory declaration of age, and certificate of medical fitness based on documented comprehensive, medical examination from a government hospital
- A statement of candidate's vision for the Gombe State University, Gombe in the 21st century of not more than 1000 words (20 copies).
- Each candidate must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the candidate to forward their referee's report directly to THE REGISTRAR under confidential cover. Such referees should be in a position to attest to the candidate’s claim to high academic standard, managerial capability and moral uprightness.
- All shortlisted candidates shall be required to make themselves available for interaction with the Joint Council/Senate Selection Board.
All applications are to be forwarded under confidential cover in a sealed envelope marked at the Upper Lleft Hand corner "Application for the Post of Vice Chancellor", to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Gombe State University,