Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Job ID: 190002LY
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Permanent
Team: Nigeria Country Office
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- To support implementation of WASH component of project including construction/rehabilitations, follow up of community hygiene groups, designing, construction, and maintenance of sanitation and hygiene infrastructures, and collaboration with WASH stakeholders at state/LGA levels.
Scope of Role:
Key Areas of Accountabilities
- Reports to: Field Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Hygiene Promoters
Take the lead on integration of hygiene promotion into other SCI programming:
- Facilitate community hygiene promotion activities and ensure the inclusive participation of all POCs including children and youth.
- Monitoring the status of Sanitation and hygiene facilities and ensuring the timely repair and maintenance of the facilities.
- Oversee the distribution of Hygiene and dignity kits at household and community level.
- Carry out regular supportive supervision visits on hygiene promotion to IDP camps.
- Build the capacity of partners and SCI staffs on hygiene promotion.
- Ensure that community mobilisation approaches on the project fully integrate hygiene promotion concepts
- Engage community leaders and other key stakeholders at LGA level on hygiene promotion
- Liaise LGA WASH departments and other relevant stakeholders on WASH programming and ensure that all activities are done with their active participation and support.
- Monitoring and supervising the quality of the construction of sanitation facilities implemented by vendors.
- Provide support on WASH to other SCI programmes and initiatives when required.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion is integrated into all trainings carried out on the project.
- Carry out advocacy visits to key stakeholders at both state, LGA and community levels.
- Support periodic evaluation studies to evaluate the impact of the WASH component.
Monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities:
- Prepare a plan of WASH field activities and share with relevant staff.
- Develop and implement tools for monitoring of WASH activities in collaboration with the M&E team.
- Timely collection and analysis of data for the monitoring of the activities.
- Identify the problems in the implementation process and propose solutions.
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement.
- Prepare activities’ reports and other ad hoc reports according to agreed timelines and as required.
- Submit timely periodic reports to Team lead.
Take the lead on the Rehabilitation/Construction of water and sanitation facilities:
Skills & Experience
- Oversee the distribution of WASH kits at household and community level.
- Ensure Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment are conducted for all construction and programme activities.
- Carry out field visits to assess sites at the respective facilities and in conjunction with the SCI Nutrition team towards determining the needs and requirement for action and implementation.
- Work with the Logistic Coordinator and Finance and Grants Compliance Team to identify and contract vendors to ensure the planned activities are in accordance with the specified designs and standard.
- Prepare weekly plans and schedule of work for all construction/rehabilitation sites, while ensuring compliance in meeting and reaching deadlines and targets.
- Work with and support the vendors to ensure all materials and equipment are in stock and any necessary orders are placed for all actions to be carried.
- Provide interpretation to designs of work and work according to specifications.
- Establish a site book at each location and make report on progress registered in the site book while ensuring signing in with remarks.
- Must adhere strictly to standards and ensure quality of materials used by the contractors falls within the utmost standard.
- Ensuring the inclusiveness of all safety/privacy/protection issues in all the WASH facilities constructed at the field level
- Ensure that all construction/rehabilitation processes including selection of sites and actual implementation are done in collaboration with key stakeholders at state, LGA and community levels.
- Maintain a strong referral system for health and the provision of WASH related services
Administrative & General Skills:
- First degree in Engineering, Geology, Geography or other WASH-related fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution.
- At least two years post NYSC experience.
- Advanced degree will be an added advantage.
- Previous experience with other local or international NGOs.
- Experience in community based programming.
- Ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Training and experience on borehole and VIP latrine construction/rehabilitation.
- Community mobilisation and advocacy experience.
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Fluency in English and Hausa, spoken and written.
- Experience working in emergencies in Northern Nigeria is desirable.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Ability to work well in the field under difficult and basic conditions.
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Application Closing Date
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
23rd August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online