The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) - The bank was established in Abuja, Nigeria in October, 1993 by African Governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade. The Bank, headquartered in Cairo, the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Legal (Loan Remediation & Recovery - Francophone)
Reference Number: MARBLR05
Requirements, Qualification and Skill
- Provide legal advice as required to the team managing an assigned portfolio of distressed credit facilities/ loans to minimize loss and maximize value of recoveries of from the sub and non-performing assets of the bank in line with set targets;
- Negotiation and preparation of legal documents with the Bank’s legal counter-parties and under the guidance of Director, Legal Services;
- Define and recommend appropriate solutions to legal problems and provide advice on constraints, risks and options in relation to loan work-out strategies with a view to reducing the Bank’s credit risk and maximize return;
- Closely interact with key stakeholders in the Bank including Business Development, Credit Assessment, Credit Quality Assurance, and Operations for the timely resolution of sub and non-performing loans;
- Ensure that the security package for all facilities in the Loan Remediation portfolio is perfected, with the most recent asset valuations as appropriate.
- Work closely with external legal counsel for the initiation and implementation of legal cases in the implementation of the loan acceleration and enforcement work out plans;
- Attend and actively contribute to the relevant committees of the Bank including; Pre-Assessment Committee, Business Committee, and Credit Committee to provide timely information necessary in strengthening the Bank’s legal and credit assessment process;
- Provide awareness and guidance to all stakeholders in the Bank with respect to the legal aspects of loan remediation policies, practices, and standards;
- Prepare timely and comprehensive Legal Updates reports on Loan Remediation reports to Senior Management and the Board on a monthly and quarterly basis respectively;
- Attend internal and external Bank meetings from time to time as may be guided by the Director, Legal Services and Chief Risk Officer;
- Undertake all such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Management from time to time.
- First degree in French Law and a relevant postgraduate degree in from a recognized University or a bar certificate in lieu of a post graduate degree;
- A professional qualification in Banking or Debt Recovery will be an added advantage;
- Sound experience of minimum 8 years with a leading financial services organization and relevant experience in the following areas: loan workout, rescheduling, rehabilitation, acceleration, enforcement, liquidation of assets and collateral, modification and/or implementation of various forms of loan recovery strategies;
- Demonstrated knowledge of French Civil law legal and banking regulations, policies and procedures relating to Loan Workout processes under OHADA;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with challenging customers and situations as well as the ability to resolve problems using sound judgment;
- Knowledge and understanding of the laws, processes, and documentation about foreclosures, legal action, and solvency/bankruptcies, and recovery of delinquent commercial loans;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications and utilization of various applications for loan collections & recovery;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change-oriented setting and therefore knowledge of the workings of the main segments of the trade finance markets and the participants in major regions of Africa;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and English. Knowledge of the Bank's other working languages is an added advantage (Arabic and Portuguese);
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and the ability to build and manage senior level interactions with a range of external stakeholders up to executive level;
- Ability to propose innovative solutions to complex problems which have a significant impact on the function or wider business;
- Possesses the highest personal and professional integrity;
- High levels of emotional intelligence and emotional resilience to be a good team player in a diverse legal team is a requirement.
Application Closing Date
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to "Martine Ralfe" via: mralfecaglobalint.com
using the Job Title as subject of the email.
Click here to apply online