The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) - The bank was established in Abuja, Nigeria in October, 1993 by African Governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade. The Bank, headquartered in Cairo, the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Manager, Operational Risk (Core, Fraud and E&S)
Reference Number: LEEBLR2
: Cairo, Egypt
- Proactively Identify all material operational risks (including fraud and E&S risks) across the head office, branches and at each business unit level as per the Bank’s approved risk identification methodology, following a top-down approach and taking into account risk causal factors, the likelihood of occurrence, impact, control activities and effectiveness of controls.
- Effectively assess and measure all material operational risks in accordance with the Bank’s adopted Basic Indicator Approach or any other alternative approach as appropriate.
- Ensure the effective management of the Bank’s material operational risks through adequate process controls and ensuring adherence thereto as well as implementing specific action plans to manage the risk causal factors.
- Effectively monitor significant operational risk exposures as well as material losses and escalate the same to the Line Manager for information and/or action. The frequency of monitoring should reflect the nature and magnitude of the risk exposures.
- Develop robust key operational risk indicators to serve as early warning indicators of increased risk, with appropriate risk threshold levels to provide a sound platform for the effective monitoring of operational risk exposures.
- Review all reports from internal/external audit, rating agencies and other assessing agents and ensure that identified operational risks are monitored and adequately managed.
- Ensure the effective implementation of the Bank’s Operational Risk Management tools:
- Loss/incidents database;
- Risk register,
- Risk and Control Self Assessments,
- Key Risk Indicators,
- Scenario Analysis,
- Stress Testing and
- Minimum Capital Computation for Operational Risk.
- Monitor and track agreed on action plans from the Operational Risk Management tools in VII above and ensure the timely escalation of all breaches and overdue remedial actions to the Line Manager for timely/appropriate action.
- Perform periodic control effectiveness tests for all mission critical (high risk) processes and make recommendations for consideration by the Line Manager.
- Monitor, track and follow up on all long overdue assurance findings (internal, external, rating agencies) and ensure timely closure or the presence of effective interim controls and an acceptable residual risk profile.
- Support the Line Manager in the detection, prevention, deterrence, control, monitoring, investigation, reporting and escalation of financial crime and fraud risks across the Bank.
- Perform Environmental and Social Risk Management(E&S) assurance roles to ensure that the Bank’s capability is in compliance with the laid down guidance as per RMPPs. Perform all such other E&S related tasks as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
- Coordinate and track service level requirements for the Risk Management Department or otherwise as may be advised by the Line Manager.
- As part of wider ERM responsibilities, provide support for the end to end validation, oversight, and reporting on fraud risk management capabilities in the Bank. Specifically, monitor trends and adopt a systematic approach including tools for early identification and reporting on emerging risks
- Regularly review the Bank’s Operational Risk Management Framework (guidelines, policies, procedures, tools) in line with the operating environment, the Bank’s strategy and best practices and make recommendations to the Line Manager for consideration as appropriate.
- Conduct operational risk (including fraud prevention and Environmental & Social Risk) capacity building training and awareness for the benefit of all staff across the Bank to support the effective usage of the Bank’s Operational Risk Management tools and improve the Bank’s risk culture.
- Prepare ad-hoc, monthly, quarterly, timely, comprehensive, accurate and reliable risk reports for consideration, review, and sign off by the Line Manager as appropriate.
- Attend Bank meetings both internal external from time to time as may be requested by the Line Manager.
- Undertake all such other roles and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Head of Risk and/or Line Manager from time to time.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Banking or Finance from a recognized University plus a relevant Postgraduate Degree;
- A professional qualification or certification in risk management is an advantage;
- Experience of no less than five years with a leading Banking organization in operational risk management, fraud investigation and Environmental and Social Risk Management;
- Strong operational risk experience within financial services/industry (retail, commercial and corporate and investment banking) with working knowledge of banking systems, procedures and controls.
- Applied knowledge of Operational Risk Management tools is critical (e.g. Risk Register, RCSAs, KRIs, Escalation Matrix, Stress Testing, Scenario Analysis, etc.);
- Business product knowledge, including an understanding of financial processes to be able to determine their impact on risk and control.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and other risk management system skills;
- Strong analytical and statistical skills. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision but collaborate with multiple team members;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change-oriented setting with good knowledge of risk practices in Africa;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank's other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic, and Portuguese);
Application Closing Date
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to "Lise Kotze" via: [email protected]
using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online