Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager – Markets, Agricultural Livelihoods and Livestock (MALL)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00070
Biu, Borno (With frequent travels to Maiduguri)
General Position Summary
Essential Job Functions
- The Program Manager is responsible for the overall management and coordination of Market Systems based early recovery programs that are primarily focusing on agricultural, livestock and markets.
- The Program Manager provides technical leadership, supervises program staff, and coordinates the implementation of all program activities ensuring the programs are on time, on scope and on budget.
- The Program Manager will promote a culture of constant program improvement, mentor the program team, integrate monitoring and evaluation into program activities and ensure the delivery of high-quality program that delivers impact.
- She/he will also identify opportunities to operationalize recommendations from resilience analyses as well as ongoing context analyses.
- She/he supports program teams to adapt or develop program tools to better incorporate and measure market systems and resilience considerations, identifies and strengthens capacity gaps and scans for additional strategic private sector partnership opportunities to strengthen our approach.
- She/he actively feeds learning from this application of systems-approaches in the Northeast Nigeria context to Mercy Corps’ larger body of growing evidence of what works to build resilience in complex crises.
Strategy and Vision:
- Provide leadership and strategic vision in all aspects of the program’s development, implementation and management.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the program in Borno State.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and impact.
- Support evaluation assessments and analysis to identify areas for program improvement.
- Manage all program activities, including providing support to agricultural and livestock producer groups, developing market linkages and value chains, building capacity of local producers, and supporting micro-projects;
- Provide management oversight the implementation team, including development of work plans, monitoring implementation and impact, ensuring that program deliverables are completed, supervising implementing staff, and managing the program budget;
- Develop monitoring systems jointly with the M&E department and provide regular, high-quality reports on program activities, both internally for Mercy Corps as well as for donors. Demonstrate progress of activities and capture lessons learned;
- In collaboration with the M&E team, ensure monitoring, evaluation and analysis are integrated into program implementation to promote adaptive management and a culture of constant program improvement.
- Support the design and implementation of relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring and learning.
- Work closely with local partners and develop strategies to promote their organizational development and capacity-building;
- Organize and conduct monitoring visits to the project sites and host visitors and donors, as needed.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Guide program team and work with M&E staff to develop, document and implement adaptive management practices that lead to improved quality and responsive implementation.
- Work with program and Mercy Corps Nigeria MSD ‘Champions’ to design and implement a strategic learning and influence agenda on MSD in Complex Crises.
- Work with program and M&E staff to ensure high quality measurement on key performance indicators for MSD and resilience in priority programs.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to programming.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with the community, government, private sector and other stakeholder's
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Supervisory Responsibility: Program staff from ALMRI, PDR and BADI
- Reports Directly To: Deputy Country Director
- Works Directly With: Operations, Finance, Program Managers, technical advisors, and others
- At least 5 years of practical field experience managing related projects.
- BA/BS or equivalent in a relevant field; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 5-7 years agriculture/livelihoods program implementation and management experience in developing countries.
- Demonstrated strong theoretical and applied knowledge of livelihood and market systems programming and familiarity designing assessments.
- Previous experience of working in insecure environments (ideally including experience in an emergency response).
- Experience facilitating workshops and multiple stakeholder meetings.
- Strong writing and report development skills.
- Experience coordinating and leading international partners and stakeholders.
- Experience managing national and international staff.
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The successful candidate should be an individual with a background in livelihoods and livestock (poultry) and market systems who is a good collaborator, facilitator and coach. This position is expected to work in partnership with other international NGOs and multiple stakeholders to produce results in a short timeframe. This position requires patience and flexibility and a person who can motivate buy-in from experts of various fields and contexts. The candidate will combine exceptional management skills and a strong technical background.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
- The position will be based in Biu, Borno State, Nigeria and it requires frequent travel to other field locations as well as Abuja. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouses where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- Given the nature of the response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
29th August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.