The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Director
Job ID: 13-10783
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN - Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: P000 - Proposal
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Chief of Party for a potential 5-year, Gates Foundation, Tobacco Control Policy Implementation Fund for Africa Program.
- This program/grant will be used to assist up to five countries that have signed on to the WHO Framework Convention for Tobacco Control in sub-Saharan Africa to advance the implementation of their national tobacco control policies through results-based, catalytic grants and peer-to-peer learning.
The Project Director is responsible for the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Lead, manage, and monitor the overall program across 3-5 countries, and is accountable for project deliverables and results.
- Conduct solicitation process for program grants to identify 3-5 grantee countries for catalytic funding.
- Work with technical partners and grantees to conduct capacity assessments, determine capacity development needs and facilitate/coordinate the provision of effective short-term technical assistance to respond to those needs.
- Champion the project’s vision and technical strategy; documentation and communication; client(s) stakeholder(s) relationships; coordination and synergy with other MSH projects and internal operations units, and contribute to business development activities.
- Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
- Negotiate grant awards with Ministries of Health/Tobacco Control Programs, including terms, objectives, milestones and deliverables, budgets, and reporting.
- Together with the project’s Grants Manager, develop results-based grant agreements based on results-based funding principles, including milestones and deliverables, payment structure, and incentives.
- Lead development of annual learning labs with grantees and technical partners to ensure best practices and innovation dissemination and peer learning.
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute program results framework, performance monitoring plan, management and performance dashboard (with [email protected] staff), and annual work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, MSH technical frameworks and standards, and RMS guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum program impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
- Ensure effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with contract/ agreement clauses, MSH and donor policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources and provide mentorship to the project team as per MSH policies and guidelines.
- Liaise with MSH local and home office staff to ensure technical and administrative quality and efficiency in the implementation of the project.
Application Closing Date
- Master's degree in Public Health, Administration, or a related discipline (MPH, MBA or other).
- Minimum of 10 years, 12 preferred of progressively responsible related experience required, and previous experience as program director in public health projects; tobacco control program experience a plus.
- Prior experience and success directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects.
- Ability to manage the donor, government counterparts, and technical partners, oversee the budget and understand the implementation challenges and solutions.
- Previous experience in capacity building and development with partner organizations.
- Experience negotiating with governments.
- Experience with results or performance based funding.
- Experience in monitoring program results and deliverables, ability to co-design M&E plans and analyze M&E data.
- Ability to identify best practices and innovations and build learning events around such results.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is subject to project award and funding.