The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Accountant
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Manage the Activity accounting system to ensure that incomes and expenditures are properly documented
- Prepare petty cash payments, journals and other vouchers and ensure that these are posted into general and other account ledgers
- Responsibile for processing of advances and claims for payment
- Maintain cash advances register for follow up on the reimbursements of advances
- Check accounting records for accuracy and correctness as necessary
- Enforce proper internal control in the Activity Finance Unit
- Account for Activity payables and receivables
- Provide Bank reconciliation status on the relationship between the program and its commercial banks
- Prepare invoices and chargeback statements for services provided to individuals or other institutions and partners
- Prepare Statements of expenditures (SOE) as required by the donor for justification of advances, direct payments and replenishment of accounts
- Track and monitor program expenditures and prepare Activity financial reports for submission to the donor
- Monitor the processing of program cash/travel advances, expense claims and reimbursements by Activity staff
- Respond to account inquiries and provide prompt feedback to users
- File and keep Activity accounting supporting documents and records
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Carry out any other activities assigned by the Chief of Party
- A post graduate degree in Accounting, Business Management or related fields from an accredited university.
- The ideal candidate must be chartered member of ICAN or possess ACCA with minimum a of 5 years working experience as an Accountant or Accounting Officer in an organization or a related role in a donor funded organization or project.
The ideal candidate must:
- Excellent computer skills with good grasp and knowledge of spreadsheets, word
- processing and other MS office applications. Good knowledge of Oracle Applications will be an added advantage
- Have proven skill and experience in areas of financial management, organization,
- supervisory, financial accounting, analytical and donor contract interpretation
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and co-ordinate, and monitor own work plans, and deliver accurate and timely reports
- Good ability to co-ordinate, prioritise and organize workloads; take initiatives and work under pressure
- Be able to work with minimum supervision and with tight deadlines
- Proficiency in English language with excellent writing, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate in one or more of northern Nigeria’s major languages is an advantage
Application Closing Date
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
31st August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and CV saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information (PDF)
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.