World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Support the Conduct of Fiscal Space Analysis for Health in the FMOH
Ref Id: 1903991
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 20 days
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Grade: No grade
- To conduct a Fiscal Space Analysis for the Federal Ministry of Health
Scope of work
- The current effort of the FMOH in coordinating health systems reforms is an effort that needs commendation. The National Health Accounts 2017 still shows low government spending/expenditure in health at all levels.
- To address limitations of funding to the health sector in Nigeria, there is a need to further analyze the resource needs estimates and financing plans for health priorities in line with the National Strategic Health Development Plan (NSHDP II) and use that analysis to identify the largest challenges and inform strategies for closing fiscal gaps. T
- hese strategies are intended to be shared with domestic and external sources of funding and help ensure that the FMOH is adequately funded through 2030 to ensure that set targets are achieved.
- This consultant will determine and revise original resource needs estimates of the NSHDP II and key health financing estimates at the Federal Level, review and update alternative projections and scenarios, review and update estimate of the overall funding gap, and analyze the scope for increasing domestic financing for health in FMOH.
Undertake a desk review/literature review of relevant documents and local research and conduct analysis of current situation in FMOH:
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Enrich the desk review with stakeholder analysis, qualitative and quantitative data collection using developed tools engaging with the FMOH, NHIS, NPHCDA, other MDAs (Finance, Budget & National Planning, Justice, Labour, etc), CSO, private sector, etc.
- Conduct fiscal space analysis by revising original resource needs estimates of the NSHDP II and key health financing estimates at the Federal level, revising and , updating alternative projections and scenarios; revisisng and updating estimates of the overall funding gap, and analyzing the scope for increasing domestic financing for health in FMOH.
- Produce a report of the Fiscal Space analysis in FMOH
- Share and validate the fiscal space analysis report with stakeholders in FMOH
- Use report of the fiscal space analysis to produce scientific paper and policy briefs towards development of the State Health Financing Policy and Strategy.
- Participate in the development of the State Health Financing Policy and Strategy.
Breakdown of the number of days for technical assistance
- Essential: Advanced University degree in Health Financing/Economics, Public Health, or other related area.
- Over 5 years Technical expertise in health policy and strategy development, planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems
- Extensive Knowledge of Nigeria’s health system, and health financing landscape
- Previous experience in the development of Health Policy, and Health Financing Policy and Strategy is mandatory.
- Previous conduct of costing exercises and economic evaluations is essential
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners in Nigeria
- Demonstrated ability to analyze political contexts, interact, and negotiate effectively with multiple interests at the political level.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministries of Health, Finance, Budget and Planning, and with a wide variety of stakeholders at the country, State, and LGA levels
- Proven ability to interact effectively at the political level with multiple high level Stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synthesize and communicate complex concepts and ideas verbally and in writing.
- IT Proficiency is essential.
Task - Days - Output/Deliverable:
Financial Implication of the Agreement
- Inception Meeting - 2 - Meeting Report
- Desk/literature Review - 3 - Desk review report
- Data Collection - 5 - Fiscal Space Data set
- Fiscal Space Analysis - 3 - Draft Fiscal Space Report
- Stakeholders’ Consultation & Validation - 1 - Validated Fiscal Space Report
- Finalize Fiscal Space Report - 2 - Final Fiscal Space Report
- Develop Scientific Paper/Policy Briefs - 2 - Scientific Paper/Policy Briefs
- Report Writing - 2 - Final Consultancy Report.
The Contractor will be paid at the level of NOC Step 1 converted to daily rate of NGN64,301 for 20 days.
Application Closing Date
9:59:00 pm; 30th August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.