The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Courtroom Technician
Institution: Community Court Of Justice, Ecowas
Division: Judicial Process And Case Management
Line Supervisor: Registrar, Judicial Process & Case Management
Role And Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Registrar, the Courtroom Technician is responsible for the control, maintenance and operation of the Courtroom interpretation equipment, verbatim recording equipment and other technical appliances in the Courtroom.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Registrar (Judicial Process & Case Management) carries out inspection, basic installation, control and operation of the Courtroom and deliberation room equipment.
- Undertakes simple repairs of equipment in the Courtroom & deliberation room. Supervise & coordinates installation, maintenance and repair activities by independent contractors.
- Brevet de Technicien Superieur (BTS)/OND/HND or equivalent in related field from a university of recognized standing;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in administration, including experience in the area of archives, electronic record management or related area is required.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS documentation, the document processing chain and relevant operational and administrative procedures, registry policies and practices, terminology and reference standards or that of a similar international organization.
- Knowledge of registry duties, practices as well as the ability to use relevant ECM module to carry out routine tasks
- Knowledge of document storage and retrieval and of electronic record keeping and relevant information systems procedures in terms of the working environment.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competences:
- Must have the ability to communicate fluently in one of the official languages of the Community; English and/or French and/or Portuguese.
- A good knowledge of one of the other official languages would be an added advantage.
- Ability to engage in positive approaches to team work, participate actively in discussions and the achievement of team goals;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance with the occasional guidance from the supervisor/mentor;
- Ability to build capacity of self and others by sharing knowledge, tools, expertise and experience with others to remain proficient and well informed in the execution of assigned role.
- Well-developed interpersonal, listening and multitasking skills with a good understanding of client service responsibilities and role in representing ECOWAS values in all interactions;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve routine problems associated with assigned tasks using good judgment in involving colleagues or superiors as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team with the ability to explain client interactions to resolve concerns, problems and improve services;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and organize own work area in a manner that will meet performance expectations related to assigned client services;
- Ability to direct people to the appropriate source for further information and ask for help when overwhelmed with client demands.
- Ability to apply culturally-relevant and appropriate approaches with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Good diversity management skills to interact with individuals in a manner that is culturally appropriate and in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Good knowledge of diversity management as it relates to daily work expectations and assigned tasks.
- Good knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate and operational goals of relevance to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to keep up-to-date with Departmental activities, schedules and goals of pertinence to own work team, functional area;
- Excellent knowledge of ECOWAS procedures relevant to assigned work and the ability to apply sound judgment in their application;
- Demonstrated strong interest and commitment to ECOWAS values and activities in daily assumption of duties.
- Excellent ability to maintain, process and provide accurate information as part of assigned tasks;
- Ability to organize files and information for easy retrieval and record keeping;
- Ability to spot mistakes, act promptly to correct them and learn from experiences;
- Knowledge and ability to challenge and question fundamental assumptions regarding accepted ways of doing things in the spirit of improvement
- Excellent ability to use current technology to communicate effectively e.g. office software programs, including spreadsheets, word processing and graphic presentation software; ability to type and format presentations, reports, manuals, newsletters, website content;
- Well-developed information sharing skills using technology and in accordance in established processes and practices;
- Advanced verbal assertiveness and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to acknowledge and understand the validity of others’ viewpoints and to respond in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to allocate time for specific task in a manner that will meet deadlines and quality/quantity expectations
- Good organizational skills with an excellent ability to break down work into smaller parts and focusing on the most important steps first;
- With appropriate guidance, ability to contribute to maintaining organizational performance standards throughout implementation of new processes, practices and plans adopted by the Department and of relevance to assigned tasks;
- Ability to monitor progress and to consider new goals in the context of assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to follow through with commitments made to others.
(G4-UA 20,166.30 USD 31,818.39)/(G5-UA 25,527.53 USD 40,277.34)/ (G6-UA30,178.98 USD 47,616.39).
Application Closing Date
20th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected]
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information
- In the subject of the email: Application for the position of Courtroom Technician - ECW-CCJ/CRT-T/001/2019
- The CV should be in PDF format.