The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Matron
Requisition ID: req6451
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Job Purpose / Objective
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014.
- The IRC is now in the process of establishing long term presence in Nigeria. An office has been established in Adamawa State, North East Nigeria and are providing critical humanitarian assistance to conflict affected people.
- Under the direct supervision of the Stabilization center Manager, the Matron will be overall responsible for the day to day administrative and clinical running of the IRC Stabilization center.
- Program management: In coordination with the Manager, formulate program goals, objectives and intervention strategies and participate in the budgeting process.
- Ensure that all center activities are implemented as outlined in the project documents
- Review the program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the stabilization center Manager on gaps and/or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services
- Participate in planning and implementing health assessments, surveys and campaigns
- Overall supervision of all staff Nurses working at the center, both IRC and MOH as well as the Help-mothers/ Dietitians, Nurses Assistants, Registrars, Watchmen / Security guards and Cleaners in both centers.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Manage leave and OFF Duty plans for staff working in the hospital to ensure adequate coverage of the hospital, including nights and weekends. Compile and submit the roster to the stabilization center Manager at the end of every month for the beginning of the next month
- Convene and attend monthly meetings with the Nutrition/stabilization Manager, IRC staff and with MOH staff to exchange information and problem solving, mortality review, duty shift change r
- Handle all disciplinary issues as they arise with support of the Nutrition Manager and HR Manager
- Participate in the recruitment process of all nursing positions, including participating in the interview process.
- The matron will work in close coordination with the stabilization center doctor in the daily running and planning of the centers.
- Ensure all stabilization center activities run smoothly and services are provided timely and efficiently;
- Ensure quality of care is given to all patients accessing the stabilization center;
- Ensure universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are followed in service provision;
- Organize and conduct regular in-service training and refresher courses for the nursing staff, both IRC staff and MOH;
- Ensure all the centers have written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that guide the day to day activities;
- Ensure quality of care is maintained through sharing of updated guidelines and protocols in line with MOH, WHO, UNICEF guidelines;
- Assist in ordering of medical supplies on a trimester basis, in line with the projected consumption and available funding; and follow up on delivery of the same through the logistics department;
- Ensure all medical items for the centers use in the warehouse are released in a timely manner with proper documentation of the same;
- Keep an inventory of all of the IRC stabilization center assets, and update this on a monthly basis.
- Share the same with the stabilization center manager and logistics manager on a monthly basis;
- Attend and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions at the stabilization center;
- Attend and chair the daily morning stabilization center handover meetings;
- Co-ordinate referrals of in-patients in a timely manner, through the referral officer and Stabilization/ Nutrition Manager;
- Identify and follow up on center facility and equipment repairs, with the assistance of the Stabilization/ Nutrition Manager.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Review, authorize and keep accurate records of all requisitions, duty rosters and applications for leave
- Ensure that all HIS statistical reports are accurate and submitted on a weekly basis
- Evaluation of services through monitoring morbidity and mortality rates through monthly statistical reports.
- Forward hospital daily categorized patients bed occupancy to the Stabilization/ Nutrition Manager,
- Keep the Nutrition Manager informed of major issues at the stabilization center,
- Maintain an updated record and submit regular inventory reports of center equipment and furniture,
- Carry out other relevant duties as may be required or assigned by your supervisor.
Key Result Areas:
- Overall supervision and coordination of nursing activities at the stabilization center
- Ensuring quality of care is given to all patients accessing the stabilization center
- Ensuring proper coverage of all the departments through proper off duty/ leave management
- Professional qualification in Nursing (BSNC or Diploma in nursing)
- Registered with the Nigerian Nursing Council
- At least 3years professional experience preferably in a supervisory/in-charge position
- Postgraduate training in public health, health services management or any relevant field is an added advantage
Required Experience & Competencies:
Application Closing Date
- Good clinical knowledge and skills
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed communication skills
- Excellent organizational, communication, inter-personal, writing, and communication skills required
- Good computer skills (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis)
- Must be a team player, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions with displaced communities
- Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures
- Nigerian nationals are encouraged to apply.
- International allowances are not available for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online