Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Technical Specialist - Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL)
Job Ref Code: TSM91319
Reports To: Program Manager/ Trainer of Trainers
CRS Nigeria is collaborating with the Nigeria National Social Safety Nets Project (NASSP) on a pilot scheme to assess the effectiveness of a mentoring and coaching intervention that will accompany a package of cash assistance and business skills training. NASSP provides targeted regular cash transfers to targeted poor and vulnerable households identified through a national social registry (NSR). Under NASSP, each household receives 5000 NGN per month. This base benefit is designed to ensure a minimum, reliable payment to promote consumption smoothing, address food insecurity and protect against economic shocks.
NASSP is piloting a complementary livelihood intervention to support households receiving cash transfers to pursue sustainable income generating activities. The livelihood package will promote households to transition from subsistence to sustainable livelihoods. The package includes the following four key components: (i) Life-skills training, (ii)Business skills training, (iii)Coaching/Mentoring and (iv) Productive grant transfer. The NASSP livelihoods pilot will be implemented in two LGAs per state in six states across the country: Anambra, Bauchi, Cross River, Jigawa, Niger and Oyo. CRS will implement and monitor the coaching and mentoring component of this livelihood’s intervention.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- The M&E Technical Specialist, under the direct supervision of the Program Manager/Trainer of Trainers will lead the monitoring of project implementation and the collation, analysis and presentation of data on the project
- S/he will work in close collaboration with the Program Manager to produce periodic data and narrative reports that highlight progress and flag areas of improvement to guide project adjustments
- S/he will work with other stakeholders to develop tools and build capacity to generate, analyze and interpret data and use it to inform program strategies and learning, and meet reporting requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Develop a MEAL system outlining indicators, tools, data sources, data flow, procedures, staffing and statistical procedures required to monitor implementation and assure quality project interventions;
- Deliver training on key components of the project MEAL system to Master Trainers and state level operatives, and support them to cascade this training to CTFs and CBVs;
- In collaboration with the Program Manager, carry out spot monitoring checks on the Master Trainers’ delivery of trainings to CTFs and CBVs, and the CTF and CBVs’ delivery of mentoring and coaching to project beneficiaries;
- Outline and implement a process for producing summary visual reports on the mentoring and coaching activities implemented by CTFs and CBVs at LGA and state levels;
- Support and mentor State Social Safety Project staff to SSP in the pilot states to analyze and interpret data, and utilize evidence-based information for program management;
- Build capacity of Master Trainers to provide basic coaching to CTFs and CBVs on data generation, analysis and interpretation;
- Ensure timely capture and processing of auxiliary qualitative information and learning to enhance overall performance of mentoring/coaching delivery;
- Lead the production of consolidated data reports that summarize implementation progress, trends, gaps and learning;
- Attend relevant technical meetings with donors and stakeholders to present and discuss project data and results as required;
- Participate in country program community of practice meetings and ensure close coordination with other CRS Nigeria MEAL activities.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field (Statistics, Development, Finance, Economics, etc);
- At least 5 years of professional experience in implementing M&E for programs related to livelihoods, education, agriculture, social behavior change communication or other integrated programming;
- Demonstrable skills in monitoring and evaluation, data management, and research methodologies;
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering diverse training programs and transferring knowledge to community level health and social service workers and/or volunteers;
- Experience in managing databases, data applications, statistical packages and MIS;
- Ability to support government and community level partners to deliver against program objectives/targets.
Application Closing Date
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and deliver outputs on schedule.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
5:00pm; 26th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "CRS Application Form" using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating position being applied for and the Job Ref Code (e.g. MEAL Director, MED211118) as the subject of the application to: [email protected]
Click here to Download Application Form (Doc)
Click Here for Job Details (Docx)
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking
- Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’.