Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: ICT4D Consultant
Consultancy Code: ICT91319
Time and Level of Effort: This consultancy shall not exceed 21 days
Terms of Reference
- Short Term Consultancy for a Consultant to Review and Develop a Briefing Paper on CRS/Nigeria’s Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) initiatives
- This Terms of Reference (TOR) provides the description and work to Review and Develop a Briefing Paper on CRS/Nigeria’s Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) initiatives.
- CRS Nigeria has identified ICT4D as an area in which to grow influence efforts in the next 3-5 years. The Country Program has recorded a number of successes in using ICT to enhance efficiency and increase impact of development programs, as well as in building local capacity for ICT4D.
- CRS pioneered the use of technology to improve the efficiency and impact of LLIN distribution campaigns and has built the technical capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program as well as the Society for Family Health to use this technology.
- CRS also uses technology to manage food assistance in north-eastern Nigeria and is currently working with Caritas Nigeria to build capacity in the use of technology for cash-based programming.
- Other technology initiatives within the Country Program include the use of ODK technology to monitor Vitamin A distribution in real time and to track home visits by community health volunteers, the use of 1-2-3 messaging technology to help cassava farmers access information on farm inputs, and the use of GIS technology to map tuberculosis (TB) hotspots and thereby improve TB case finding and referral.
- Although CRS Nigeria has been using technology to drive development for several years, the Country Program does not have a comprehensive compendium of these initiatives.
- Through this consultancy, CRS Nigeria seeks to produce a briefing paper that document what the country program has achieved and learnt in the course of using technology to improve efficiency and outcomes of emergency and development programming.
- The briefing documents will support CRS’s influence agenda with government, research institutions and investors and will help to position CRS as a leader in ICT4D in Nigeria.
Working closely with the MARCOMS Specialist, the Consultant will be expected to:
- Carry out a desk review of program reports and other documents that contain information on CRS’s ICT4D initiatives;
- Meet with and interview key staff of the various projects to gather additional information on the ICT4D solutions they have applied, including information on the impact of these solutions on program outcomes, key success factors, and challenges faced;
- Carry out field visits to observe and document the use of ICT4D first hand;
- Write all sections of the document, following up with the appropriate CRS staff to improve/fill in information gaps;
- Revise the document based on reviewer feedback and finalize it, ensuring that all comments are addressed.
Timeline: The draft timeline for the assignment is as follows:
Task Timeframe (dates TBD):
- Desk Review 2 days
- Interviews with key staff 2 days
- Field trips to program sites 5 days
- Write initial draft of document 2 days
- Revise document based on reviews, including gathering additional information, final editing 1 days
Deliverables: A finalized document incorporating the following illustrative sections:
- Success Factors
- Lessons Learned
The document will incorporate images and text boxes that highlight key outcomes, strategies, case studies or learnings.
Approach and Method
- Place of Performance: The consultancy will be performed in CRS offices in Abuja, as well as at field locations which will be decided in collaboration with the MARCOMMS Specialist. Some elements of the work can be done remotely.
- Period of Performance: The consultancy will take place over 12 billable days, which may be spread across September and October 2019. The final deliverable is due on October 23, 2019.
- Key Working Relationships: The primary point of contact will be the MARCOMMS Specialist.
Excellent writing skills;
- Experience in developing case studies and briefing papers (samples needed);
- Background in development or in information and communications technology, or experience with ICT4D;
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management, and ability to work independently (seeking clarification when needed in a timely manner) and to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to work within a multicultural setting and with multicultural teams.
Application Closing Date
- CRS will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate. Logistics for field trips will be arranged separately. CRS will reimburse operational and logistical costs if they are identified and approved by the Consultancy Manager in advance.
- Please note that CRS will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
19th Septemeber, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send their expression of interest (EOI) along with a detailed resume attached as one document in PDF indicating the "Title of the consultancy and the Consultancy Code" to: [email protected]
- Completed applications should reach us before close of business, Thursday, September 19, 2019.
- Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Location of the Consultancy: The consultancy will take place in any of the campaign states listed above.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, colour, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviours related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’