eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings and uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Manager
Purpose of the position
What you’ll do
- The Senior Program Manager is responsible for the overall quality and effectiveness of eHA’s Emergency Preparedness and Response program.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the Emergency Response Plan as well as project supervision and implementation of emergency response projects with different institutional donors and agencies.
- S/he will be responsible for day to day management of the emergency program as well as support for new business development.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned:
- S/he will adopt adequate emergency preparedness measures through the development and updating of country contingency plans and establishment of early warning mechanisms, to ensure effective preparedness and response to specific emergencies.
- S/he participates in the formulation and development of plans of action in preparation and response to emergencies. S/he monitors compliance of all sectors with emergency plans of action, including financial resources and ensures coordination of the management of emergency preparedness and response.
- Provides technical advice related to emergency preparedness and response, including program management related issues. Provides advice in the implementation of emergency preparedness measures in the field to strengthen preparedness and response mechanisms in the region faced with impending emergencies.
- Develops and maintains databases on country/regional information, and ensure the flow of information and communication crucial for the planning and implementation of emergency preparedness and response management.
- Identifies the availability of resources in emergency prone areas and establish logistics plans to be implemented during an emergency operation, to ensure a timely and effective emergency response.
- Plans, organizes and conducts training for eHA stakeholders capacity building in emergency preparedness and response. Assists in developing and conducting emergency training courses. Provides training and/or briefing, as required.
- In the event of an emergency, takes prompt action as a member of the Emergency Response Team which is deployed immediately to establish eHA’s presence and implement the initial operational tasks relating to emergency assistance.
- Participate and assist with the assessment of local emergency and situation affecting people in the locality, in conjunction with the other project managers and field staff. Visits the location to conduct an initial rough assessment of the magnitude of the crisis, its implications and its impact on the community
- Assesses the validity of the office preparedness plan and the ability of the office vis-à-vis the current crisis as well as immediate and additional needs.
- Coordinates with other partners/ stakeholders to make a rapid assessment covering priority areas as defined by the Core Commitment in Emergencies by establishing contact with community groups, government, Donor agencies, and other partners to keep abreast of emergency situations
- Identifies problems and constraints in order to ensure effective project delivery.
Program and Project Management:
Who you are
- Oversees the implementation of plans of action and work plans for projects under the Emergency Response portfolio.
- Implements and manages project activities. Coordinates field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress.
- Makes technical decisions on project administration (e.g., activates, requests or reprograms allocation of emergency funds).
- Prepares inputs for appeals and updates related to emergencies. Works with program sections and senior management to mobilize donor response and recovery/rehabilitation-related funding.
- Maintains continuous, effective and strategic coordination, communication, consultation and liaison with Government, international agencies, NGOs, donors, and allies to appeal for aid for people with special needs resulting from the emergency situation requiring an effective emergency response in all sectors. Identifies implementing/operational partners and establishes implementing arrangements.
- Ensures that the eHA support is effectively provided to the government with respect to sectoral coordination within the framework of the cluster approach and based on the Core Commitment for Health.
- Participates in all humanitarian and recovery related forum and keeps eHA informed of all humanitarian developments in the Region in terms of policies, strategy, situation developments, potential threats, and opportunities/issues in partnership.
- Foster a project work environment that promotes productivity, innovation, and fairness.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to project managers on strategy.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university in Project Management or a related field. Master's degree is preferred.
- Minimum of Eight (8) years working experience in Project and Program Management, including a minimum of Five (5) years of donor management experience preferably in an NGO or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong leadership skills that include the ability to build effective project teams, motivate others, delegate, and make timely/quality decisions.
- Exemplary skills with leading and managing multidisciplinary teams, as well as mentoring other team members in a clinical research setting.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner.
- Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments..
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess initiative and good problem-solving skills.
- May frequently travel within the country to project sites.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Must possess strong organization and prioritization skills.
- Training and presentation experience is preferred.
- Must be able to work as a member of a team and possess good problem-solving skills.
- Must have flexibility in working hours, including on-call availability and the willingness to work holidays. Excellent customer service skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including Google Drive, Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- English is the spoken and written language. Fluency in local Hausa is an advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
Certifications and Licenses:
- A Project Management certification is preferred
- PMI - Agile Certification is an added advantage.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
Application Closing Date
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer and reach with their hands and arms.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: Above all - We believe strongly in our mission and our core values and our teams are most successful when they do also.