Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Rwanda and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer - Back End
What You’ll Do
- Our Andelan Software Engineers are masters of consistent execution. They reliably deliver technical and professional value to our teams and our partners.
What You’ll Bring
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Mentor and onboard junior engineers, by consistently displaying sound judgement, setting expectations, and working effectively, both independently and as part of a global team.
- Collaborate excellently with peers and stakeholders in fast-paced distributed teams, through a love of constructive feedback, dedication and universal respect.
- All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
- A minimum of 3-7 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built technical expertise and professionalism.
- Working knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming concepts i.e Classes and objects, Inheritance, Encapsulation and Polymorphism.
- Good understanding of fundamental database concepts - relational (SQL) database, non-relational (NoSQL) database and ORMs/ODMs
- Working knowledge of core data structures
- Experience working with of software engineering collaboration tools
- Experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Familiarity with at least one cloud hosting platform --(ex: AWS, GCP)
What You’ll Get
- Comfort working within agile methodologies and experienced in estimation and time management
- Intermediate understanding of unit and integration testing, and testing frameworks/libraries -- PyTest, Nose, Jasmine, Mocha, Jest
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understands its importance
- Experience having worked with at least one Web Framework for your language of choice
- Comfort and familiarity with code editor and formatting tools
- Familiarity with at least one web server technology -- (ex: Apache, Nginx)
- Working knowledge of at least one CI/CD tool -- Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration techniques
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Knowledge of unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, with at least one relevant testing framework
- Familiarity with containerization infrastructure and orchestration
- Awareness of the capabilities of applicable languages/frameworks/libraries as well as the inherent differences between them in order to understand trade-offs and make recommendations.
Application Closing Date
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.