Despite 10 years of uninterrupted civil rule and three successive general elections including a successful transfer of power from one civilian administration to another, Nigeria continues to face the challenge of conducting elections that meet both regional and international standards of free, fair and credible elections. Consequently, soon after his inauguration as President in May 2007, President Umaru Yar’adua made commitment to reform Nigeria’s electoral system and strengthen democratic governance. Electoral reform is currently under way, and hopefully will be concluded before the next general elections in 2011. UNDP and other donors – the EU, DFID and CIDA have initiated Democratic Governance for Development (DGD), in response to the request from the Nigerian government to assist in working towards achieving a more credible electoral process.
This initiative will enable the Nigerian Government to work closely with Civil Society Organizations and other political key players in a six distinct and inter-related programming components such as :
* Strengthening of National Assembly
* Strengthening of Political Parties
* Improvement of the Electoral Process
* Increased Capacity and Performance of Civil Society
* Reinforcing the role of the Media
* Empowerment of Women
DGD in Nigeria will focus on Electoral Cycle Support and Deepening Democracy within the framework of the Joint Donor basket Fund (JDBF) 2 that will support the electoral process and consolidation of democracy from 2009 -2014. The programme period will be covered for 5 years.Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Implementation of operational strategies
Support to effective and efficient functioning of the unit (DRR’s office/operations unit/ administrative unit)
Support to administrative and logistical services
Support to office maintenance and assets management
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
* Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
* Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the unit (DRR’s office/operations unit/ administrative unit), focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
* Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
* Translation of simple correspondences, when needed.
3. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNDP shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions.
* Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of POs for travel activities.
* Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
* Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
* Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
* Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
* Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
* Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
* Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
* Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
* Extraction of data from various sources.
* Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
* Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
* Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
4. Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
* Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
* Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
5. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
* Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country.Competencies
* Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptabilityFunctional Competencies
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Shares knowledge and experience
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skillsDevelopment and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
* Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
* Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
* Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
* Strong IT skills, knowledge of Atlas
* Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systemsLeadership and Self-Management
* Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
UNDP Procurement Certification programmeRequired Skills and Experience
* Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.Experience:
* 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.Language Requirements:
* Fluency in the written and oral English is essential.Application Deadline
19th March, 2010How To ApplyClick Here To Read More And Apply Online