The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
To drive quality, comprehensive health services and to engender global best practices to reduce the burden of pediatric and adolescent HIV, tuberculosis and malaria, IHVN is seeking for qualified candidates for this position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, MNCH
Job Category: Technical
Supervisor: MNCH Unit Head
Department: Prevention Care and Treatment
Unit: Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (MNCH)
- Provide programmatic support and oversight to the Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Unit across supported facilities in the state
- Assist in development of program strategies, work plans and their implementation for effective operations of the PMTCT services across facilities within the state.
- Ensure smooth operations and coordination of PMTCT activities at the supported state and facilities.
- Conduct needs assessment for PMTCT commodities supplies in the state
- Co-ordinate, track progress, review results and address PMTCT challenges in the state
- Supervise service providers (nurses, adherence counselors, Mentor Mothers, Treatment Support Specialists, volunteers etc.) as they provide quality care to HIV Positive pregnant women.
- Ensure that the facility operates a functional and efficient client flow system
- Identify barriers to PMTCT and proffer solutions to these challenges
- Facilitate and coordinate all site-based trainings sessions organized for facilities health care workers
- Facilitate and coordinate the activities of Infant Feeding Counseling and hands-on capacity building for health care workers in the state
- Facilitate effective linkages within thematic program areas and overall community based organization linkages.
- Report all activities to the MNCH Program Lead in the state and State Manager/Project Director, Senior Program Officer Prevention, Care and Treatment Department Central and others as may be necessary.
- Adhere and abide by the ethics and code of conduct of the Institute.
- Review State data on weekly/monthly basis to assess level of achievement and gaps.
- Coordinate Early Infant Diagnosis activities in the state and ensure appropriate transportation systems of samples logging at the PCR labs, monitor its flow and ensure quickest turnaround time to the facility & caregiver.
- Facilitate and coordinate the activities of Mentor Mothers / Traditional Birth attendants and other community volunteers to improve care, treatment protocols and mechanisms for tracking defaulters.
- Any other duties assigned by Regional Manager/State Manager /Program Area Lead & Head of Department
Skills and Abilities:
- Good communication (oral and written) and facilitation skills
- Proficiency in computer - Word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation
- Ability to evaluate/analyze data, prepare high quality reports often under pressure and in complex situations,
- Ability/capacity to develop and design MNCH strategic plan,
- Good inter and intrapersonal communication skills,
- Being goal-oriented and willing to work under pressure to meet targets/goals
Prior Work Experience:
- A minimum of 5 – 7 years progressively professional level experience managing public health and health delivery with emphasis on MNCH. She/he must have experience working with PEPFAR funded MNCH, care and treatment program.
- English language (high proficiency in verbal and written expression)
Application Closing Date
- Familiarity with the broad range of maternal, newborn and child health issues. Understanding and in-depth knowledge of the implementation of MNCH programs in Nigeria.
17th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to "Assistant Director, Human Resources" through this email address: [email protected]
Click here for more information
- Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.