Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihoods Assistant
Contract type: National contract
Conditions: Availability: ASAP
Slot: 2 Openings
- Coordinate with partners and other stakeholders in the implementation of livelihood programming through supporting market systems development (MSD), improved production practices for farmers’ associations, cash transfer programming (CTP) and village savings and loans associations (VSLA) while developing the social cohesion between members of the target communities.
- Supporting SME Development, CTP and Agricultural Inputs Distributions and Farming Skills Training using Market Systems Development (MSD) Approach
- Work with Government and Community Resilience Groups (CRGs) to screen, select and verify beneficiaries in the target communities.
- Provide livelihood guidance, on an individual, group or association basis, to increase beneficiaries’ awareness of different business options based on market assessment and beneficiary interests.
- Provide information to beneficiaries about livelihoods and business development opportunities.
- Organize small business training and business planning activities with beneficiaries
- Provide information to the beneficiaries on skills trainings, market opportunities, and small enterprise creation.
- Train, coach and mentor farmers on improved agricultural (livestock and crop) production practices
- Facilitate the implementation of Cash Transfer Programmes (CTP) at ward level; Unconditional/Conditional Cash Grants and Cash for Work
- Work with line manager to plan for agricultural inputs distributions using MSD approach and ensuring distributed inputs accountability.
- Linking bulk agriculture produce buyers with farmer’s associations and input sellers with farmers.
- Work closely with Ministry of Agriculture Extension workers in facilitating crop farming/poultry production trainings for beneficiaries.
- Support the organization of trainings and other events related to the project.
- Establish linkages to vocational learning institutions and refer beneficiaries to selected marketable courses of their interest.
- Provide administrative support if required.
- Submit weekly reports and contribute to compilation of the monthly report and submit to line manager.
- Coordination of LGA and Ward level stakeholders in consultation with line manager.
- Ensure that protocol is followed through stakeholder consultation at all stages of project implementation.
Social Cohesion Programming:
- Assess the relevance of potential intercommunal dialogue activities linked to livelihoods to improve the dialogue and cooperation between these fields (e.g. joint workshops, peer-to-peer activities, language exchanges, etc.).
- Select beneficiaries who will participate in the activities through youth empowerment and social safety-net planning in coordination with AVR teams.
- Maintain Excel tracking sheet to ensure that data are collected on a timely basis.
- Contribute to regular reporting on achievements and challenges related to the project as requested by the Livelihoods Officer.
Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Work closely with the monitoring team and the Livelihood Officer on the timely monitoring and evaluation of all components - information, beneficiary selection, beneficiary feedback about activities, etc.
- Facilitate the qualitative and quantitative monitoring of the project through team meetings, visits to selected beneficiaries, regular reporting and any other monitoring tools.
- Participate in the internal evaluation of the program.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- University degree or advanced training/ course in Agriculture, Business Administration, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Humanitarian or related field
- Experience in livelihood programming and trainings.
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in the country and the region.
- 1-2 years working experience, in the field of business is required
- Previous working experience with humanitarian agencies
- Experience working with hosts, returnees and displaced populations.
- Previous experience working on Market Systems Development approaches.
Key Stakeholders: (Internal and External)
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a must.
- Fluency in local spoken languages is an added advantage.
Salary and Conditions
- Consortium partners
- Relevant government line ministries and departments
- Local authorities
- Other NGOs
Application Closing Date
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment; The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
26th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- Nigerian Nationals Only.
- Women are highlyencouraged to apply.
- DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.