Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Accountant
Maidugur, Borno (With Visits To The Field)
Supervisor: Finance And Compliance Manager
Line Reports None
Under the supervision of the Finance and Compliance Manager, the Programme Accountant will be responsible for the following main activities in accordance to national and MdM procedures:
- Cash and Bank Management
- Payroll Management
- General Administration
- Implements and explains MDM financial rules as needed, including Donor rules under guidance of the Finance and Compliance Manager.
- Participates to the yearly budget and revised budget construction with the Finance and Compliance Manager and while seeking involvement from the other departments;
- Support the Finance and Compliance Manager and logistics department in the review of MRs, evaluation grids by ensuring the donor and saga code are completed
- Review all payments requests for completion before they are submitted to Finance and Compliance Manager for payment
- Provide feedback to programme and support staff on the status of their payment requests.
- Ensures the respect of accounting rule set as per MdM standards;
- Supervises the Finance Assistant to make sure they enter invoices & payments data daily into accountancy software (saga) in accordance with MdM standards and to the accountancy and budget framework.
- Supervises the preparation of payment related to the daily operation of the MdM programs, according to MdM procurement procedures (Mission Request, Purchase order, contract, invoices & receipts, quotations, and proformas etc.)
- Checks and complete the filling/stamping of the accountancy documents;
- Ensures the SAGA entries and complete the month-end accountancy closure (printouts, accounting annexes and SAGA books to be sent to the Finance and Compliance Manager
- Prepares the bank statements and reconciliation;
- Supervises the administrative archive on the mission (copies, classify and archive)
- Support during organizational audit.
Cash and Bank Management:
- Lead on the Consolidation of the monthly cash request for the Finance and Compliance Manager with input from different departments
- Works closely with the Logistics Department to ensure the respect of the procurement procedure: checks the administration forms and ensures the proper validation cycle is respected (quotations, evaluation and validation grid, purchase order, delivery note, etc);
- Responsible for the cash advance and for utilities and supplier’s payments and pro-actively follow up on the same;
- Ensures the payment and justification of any per diem and transport for employees sent out on the field
- Controls the bank balance regularly and advises the Finance and Compliance Manager accordingly
- Requests the bank statements to proceed with month-end accountancy closure
- Liaise regularly with the bank to be in line with any change of process or requirements.
National Human Resource Administration and Recruitment:
- Register and arrange for payment of all charges after the approval of the Finance and Compliance Manager, and on a timely basis to the relevant state authorities (PAYE tax, Pension fund tax, Housing Fund tax, and NSITF tax)
- Prepares the payrolls and payment of salaries and all deductions. Calculates overtime and leave to ensure accurate payments to all MDM staff using time sheets for validation
- Using the attendance sheets, and under validation of the Programme Coordinator/Advisors, calculate and pay the incentives as per the determined time-table.
- Support Finance and Compliance Manager to Follow-up on any change of policy in the Nigerian legislation on an ad-hoc basis, when information on changes in legislation is available
- Organizes archiving and filing of all HR and administrative documents;
- Communicates the different policies applicable in the office to the rest of staff and ensures they are respected;
- Prepare a summary of weekly activities
- At the request of the Finance and Compliance Manager, participate in the preparation of financial and donors’ reports.
- Participate in a pro-active way to the improvement of the MdM policies and procedure (general, admin, security…)
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Finance and Compliance Manager
- Independently identify areas of work within the department that require support, and carry out the same.
Application Closing Date
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting or comparable Degree
- 2 years progressive experience in a similar role
- Fluent in English and Hausa. Knowledge of Kanuri would be an added advantage
- Experience with NGO required.
- Experience with Saga will be an asset.
30th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter to: [email protected]
Clearly indicate "Programme Accountant" as the subject of their application.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular, and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- Medecins du Monde France is a French humanitarian organization, involved in emergency programs in Nigeria.
- The employee shall respect Medecins du Monde France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Employment for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.