African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer, RDGW2
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Position N°: 50078378
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities. The RDVP ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries (RMCs) and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa”. The Complex comprises five departments: Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; Gender, Women and Civil Society; Water Development and Sanitation; and, Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. The position is listed in the organization chart of the Regional Development and Service Delivery Platform for West Africa (RDGW) and is located in Abidjan in the RDGW.2 Division, in charge of agriculture, water and sanitation and human development in the West African Regional Department (RDGW).
- The mission of the RDGW.2 Division is to contribute to the Bank's efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in regional member countries, including: contributing to the development of national and regional strategies and strengthening sector knowledge; and focusing on the preparation and presentation of projects/programmes for operations identified under the High 5s.
- In this regard, the RDGW.2 Division works closely with the AHWS Department, which is responsible for coordinating the Bank's activities in the water and sanitation sector, to strengthen synergies and contribute to all the High 5s. In addition, to develop integrated projects with a range of impacts on people’s living conditions and on the High 5s in general, the RDGW.2 Division collaborates with the other Bank departments involved in water and sanitation (AHAI, AHHD, AHGC, etc.).
The position of Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer has the following objectives:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to attainment of national/regional water and sanitation agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including ensuring universal access to water and sanitation and improving water quality to enhance the quality of life for the people;
- Liaise with stakeholders in the RMCs, work closely with regional platforms and other complexes dealing with water issues, while contributing to the appropriate management of technical knowledge and guidance on affordable water supply services and sanitation technologies and approaches;
- Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying Bank Group’s operational procedures relating to loan administration, and procurement of goods and services.
- Develop and manage the RDGW.2 Division's portfolio in the sub-region in accordance with the Bank's policy by identifying projects and consulting with governments, the various stakeholders in RMCs and other Technical and Financial Partners (TFPs).
Under the overall supervision of the manager for RDGW. 2, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs to develop their water and sanitation sector;
- Contribute to the development of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance to introduce and monitor the implementation of the policy.
- Identify, prepare and evaluate water and sanitation projects and programmes, together with multisector projects and programmes in RMCs;
- Identify and coordinate the co-financing needs of the Division's projects/programmes and make funding proposals;
- Supervise portfolio projects in accordance with Bank rules and procedures;
- Perform project completion missions with a view to preparing project completion reports;
- Conduct project preparation and appraisal missions in the water and sanitation sector;
- Provide support to the Head of Division, RDGW.2 to supervise staff, monitor the portfolio, the loan programme and the Division's indicators;
- Support the Head of Division in monitoring and achieving the target indicators, and in monitoring projects managed by other colleagues;
- Represent the Division and the Department in meetings and events related to the water and sanitation sector within the Bank, and externally;
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master's or equivalent degree in Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitation, or related discipline. Knowledge of project management is an asset for the position;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of proven and relevant work experience in monitoring and managing water and sanitation projects, especially in West Africa;
- Sound knowledge of the activities of other multilateral and bilateral institutions that finance the water and sanitation sector;
- Sound knowledge of the challenges of the water and sanitation sector, and ability to support RMCs in designing appropriate projects and programmes in the sector;
- Extensive experience in water and sanitation project development, and technical support for projects;
- Extensive experience working in a multicultural environment and leading project preparation and appraisal teams in the water and sanitation sector;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams for project preparation and evaluation;
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint etc.). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset;
30th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online