Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Feasibility Assessment of Water Infrastructures and Grazing Reserves
Job Type: Short Term
- Through local partners, CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently works in 32 of Nigeria’s 36 states, focusing on agriculture and livelihoods, health, and emergency programming
- USAID recently awarded a new project to Catholic Relief Services - Nigeria Program called Water for Agriculture (WFA) Project.
- The purpose of the program is to assist USAID implement Water for Agriculture (WFA) in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. Catholic Relief Services (CRS) will undertake the rehabilitation/construction of water points (earth dams, weirs, diversion–gravity systems, boreholes and basin irrigation systems) in 7 LGAs.
- This 3-years activity will increase agricultural production and income for over 50,000 herders and 4,000 farmers in an equitable, inclusive and sustainable manner. The WFA activity will cover Kaga, Biu and Kwaya Kusar Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State; Gombi and Mayo-Belwa LGAs of Adamawa; and Jakusko and Bursari LGAs of Yobe State.
- In view of the above, CRS intends to engage the services of a consultant to carry out an extensive feasibility study including desk review, field assessments, and associated preliminary surveys to determine the status of water infrastructure in the target locations.
The specific objectives for water infrastructure are:
- To review previous reports on water infrastructure in the BAY states such as earth and sand dams, weirs, irrigation channels, reservoirs and boreholes.
- To conduct water use assessment (water foot print) to estimate the amount of water usage/water volume that will be required to serve the producer groups (herders and farmers) around the grazing reserve or located water source.
- To collect data/information on existing water rights and management structures, gender mainstreaming in water infrastructure management and the cost recovery models used in operations and maintenance of water infrastructure in the locations.
- Assess possible impact of climate change on the hydrological characteristics using some scenarios (without climate change, with low-level climate change and with high-level climate change) drawing from existing literature.
- Assess if farmers/herders have other potable water sources for human consumption in the locations, how long does it take them (in minutes) to access these water sources and quantity of water available/person/day.
- Assess the environmental risks associated with agricultural production in the locations.
The specific objectives for agriculture are:
- Determine the size of arable farmland and grazing reserves, the crop types grown, the type of farming systems adopted and the number of herders and farmers that benefit from water infrastructure in the targeted locations.
- Gain understanding of the existing areas of collaboration between herders and farmers and how to further ensure sustainability of these areas of collaborations.
- A University Degree in Geosciences or Civil Engineering
- A relevant post graduate degree in Engineering Geology or Civil Engineering with 10 years post graduate experience.
- The individual should also have some experience in water for agriculture or other related areas.
- The individual should be registered and up to date in the membership of relevant professional body.
- The consultant should also have good use of mapping software (ArcGIS, QGIS) to map features, e.g. water points, soil, vegetation, etc. on maps.
- Knowledge of English knowledge and excellent writing skills are mandatory.
- Capacity to self-manage, work independently and remotely and deliver on time.
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management, and ability to work independently (seeking clarification when needed in a timely manner) and to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Time and Level of Effort
- The consultancy services will be for the duration of 27 days
- Kindly see link to complete terms of reference: http://bit.ly/2C5quti
Application Closing Date
- CRS will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate. Logistics for field trips will be arranged separately. CRS will reimburse operational and logistical costs if they are identified and approved by the Consultancy Manager in advance.
- Please note that CRS will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
14th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume attached as one document in PDF indicating the title of the consultancy and the consultancy code - FWG11119 to: [email protected]
Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employer Opportunity
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, colour, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
Statement of Commitment to Protection
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking
- Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviours related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’.