Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination and it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager - Education (International-unaccompanied)
Plan Maiduguri office
Functional Area: Programme, Humanitarian Response
Reports to: Deputy Emergency Response Manager
Travel required: Frequent travel - 50 to 60%
Effective Date: October 2019
Dimensions of the Role
- Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organization committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice. We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
- Plan has been operating in Nigeria since 2014, helping poor children to access their rights to health, education, protection and livelihoods. Plan works to bring long lasting improvements to children’s lives. Plan‘s main goals are that: Children grow well in a healthy environment; Children participate in the development process; Adults, particularly women, acquire literacy and life skills; Communities are well organized in order to protect children.
- Plan International has full-fledged Country programmes in Nigeria. Since 2016, PLAN Nigeria scaled up the humanitarian response in north east Nigeria. Our response currently funded by multiple donors. Plan Nigeria work in protection, nutrition, education and livelihood sectors. The post holder is expected to manage at least three projects funded by same or different donor. He / she will supervise project coordinator(s) of these projects. Programme Manager will work closely with the support functions such as administration, logistic, finance and HR. Key functions of this post includes:
- Projects implementation is following the Country Strategy and Humanitarian Response Strategy, objectives, outcomes and targets, which is the contractual & programmatic basis.
- Project Cycle Management is on track in line with expected expenditure and work plane
- That the programme activities are following minimum quality standards related to EiEinterventions
- That programmatic and financial progress reporting is done on time
- Donor communications are done in line with the Plan Nigeria internal regulations.
- The Programme Manger role will be to support the coordination and implementation of Education projects in the north east of Nigeria. He / she will be supported by education specialist, Deputy Emergency Response Manager and Emergency Response Manager.
- The main objective of this position is to support the smooth implementation of education projects and act as interface between the key projects intervention stakeholders such as donors, government, civil society and PLAN international Nigeria.
Project Management of education sector:
- Provide pro-actively guidance and technical support to the implementing project teams in Nigeria in all phases of Project Cycle (from start-up to project closure) where required.
- Pre-assembling and preparing narrative reports and financial updates on expenditures in line with donor, Plan’s requirements and rules and regulations.
- Participate in regular monitoring and if required programme/action plans, revisions and modifications at country level and facilitate with the relevant stakeholders.
- Organize/facilitate/accompany start-up and closing workshops as well as all relevant mid-term reviews and evaluations.
Information and Co-ordination:
- Provides intervention updates and reports on a frequent basis and whenever required and requested to Plan Nigeria country office and national office.
- Organizes regular update meetings through the CO or the Program Manager to track the progress of the projects in relation to implementation and expenditure.
- Ensures proper update of essential program documents are filled, saved and accessible in a timely manner in the central database.
- Ensures that lessons learnt on the intervention are systematically documented/captured and can be used for further implementation improvement as well as development of new interventions.
- Orient/guide the respective project teams of Plan Nigeria on key international humanitarian standards like Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), Sphere Standards.,
- Provide orientation and guidance on key processes in implementing and reporting on emergency response projects to the projects team.
- Ensures program team members are properly oriented on project deliverables.
Dealing with Problems:
Plan International’s Values in Practice
- The post is a key linkage/coordination/interface point between donors (who is based in the field) and Plan Nigeria management team in Maiduguri and Country Office. For this reason, the post holder must be able to master and manage relationships well and respectfully in regards of different needs with different stakeholders, including conflicting priorities and ad hoc request.
- Given the wide scope of responsibility and at the same time limited direct authority over implementing CO staff, it’s essential that the post holder is able to stay on top of a variety of work, make clear prioritization and be creative in making use of internal (and external) resources (people/funding) to ensure that we achieve the envisaged outcomes
- Excellent and creative - but non-directive- leadership skills will be utilized to overcome delays and other bottlenecks which might affect negatively the impact and the quality of the intervention.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young Peopleand Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
We are open and accountable:
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact:
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together:
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering:
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- Country Director of Plan Nigeria
- Emergency Response Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Sector specialists; This includes Education, protection, livelihoods and Nutrition.
- Administration and Logistic team in Maiduguri office and Country Office
- Finance team in Maiduguri office and Country Office.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Other agencies and stakeholders related to the intervention (mainly UN, government counterparts etc)
- Master’s degree in Development Studies, Project Management or any relevant field.
- Networking and representation: demonstrable experience of organizational representation and engagement with humanitarian donors.
- Deep knowledge and experience in humanitarian context is desirable.
- Communication: Well developed written and oral communication skills. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- People management: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to guide local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan's core values and humanitarian principles.
- Adaptability & flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under a stressful working environment.
- Work style: well organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge & skills: General knowledge and understanding of EiEminimum standards, Core Humanitarian Standards, SPHERE, Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct and other relevant international standards for humanitarian response.
- Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in IT/computer skills (including sound MS excel and word proficiency)
- Experience as a coordinator/Programme Manager for a multi-donor programme/project preferred
- Fluency in English (business level mandatory)
Application Closing Date
- The holder of the position will be working in a typical office environment and entails 50 - 60 % travel to the project implementation locations.
- Level of contact with children
- Mid contact: The PM will have occasional interaction with children
29th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online