African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Regional Operations Management Officer, RDRI
: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Position N°: 50071223
The Hiring Department
- The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialise Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
- Under the new Development and Business Delivery Model (DBDM), the Regional Integration Coordinating Department (RDRI) was established within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP) with the aim of providing strategic direction for the Integrate Africa work streams at the regional level while focusing on implementation at the sub-regional and national level through Regional and Country Strategy Papers to enable Regional Member Countries to realize enhanced outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Principal Regional Operations Management Officer monitors regional projects implementation and provide support in enhancing productivity, accountability, efficiency of regional operations but also in regional integration business development with Regions and Sector Departments within the Bank and with RDRI external partners.
- S/he provides expertise, support on regional project design, implementation, follow up, and, if needed, project restructuring activities.
- S/he will also manage the annual process of initial projects screening for the Regional Operations Envelop (ROE) support.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Principal Regional Operations Management officer will perform the following duties:
- Monitor regional operations progress by liaising with Regional Integration Coordinators and, if necessary, RPOs, CPOs and Task Managers on issues of pipeline development, portfolio management but also strategy development and review.
- Review periodic reports (including but not limited to quarterly, half-yearly, and annual operational, technical, environmental and financial reports) of flagged regional integration projects to ensure compliance with covenants and project implementation timelines, highlighting implementation issues and challenges and keep regular communication with related Country and Head Office staff.
- Advise and be a member of the origination teams on transactions with focus on improving the regional dimension in the design, the preparation and the implementation of projects and contribute to strengthen quality of the regional operation portfolio at entry.
- Contribute to build and maintain strong relationships with clients, multilateral partners, and government officials to develop a strong pipeline for new regional operations.
- Monitor performance of regional operations portfolio and lead analytical work on portfolio analysis.
- Manage the annual prioritization exercise for the Regional Operation Envelope and participate to potential project sponsors interviews, check accuracy of information provided, and evaluate capacity of the parties to successfully implement the proposed projects.
- Prepare relevant reports for submission to Management as periodic updates on regional operations portfolio implementation progress.
- Represent the Division Manager in various committees/meetings on issues related to regional operations portfolio management.
- Develop, under RDRI management guidance, solid working relationships across regions and complexes, support, and advise RDRI management to improve the reporting on regional integration projects implementation including with RDRI external partners.
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree in a relevant field such as economics, international law, international relations or development or related field.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in design and / or implementation of cooperation project / program, notably within an international and development organization
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio management within a multilateral institution / Proven track record of working with multiple stakeholders across complexes to operationalize collaboration and implement integrated solution to enhance portfolio monitoring.
- Experience in developing countries and excellent understanding of regional integration policies within Africa.
- Good knowledge of relevant strategies, policies, procedures and practices of development finance institutions will be an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively plan, direct, organize and administer diverse activities, to ensure effective delivery of work program.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
20th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.