African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Civil Engineer, CHGS1
: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Position N°: 50065427
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The Vice President is responsible for driving efforts to digitize and transform the Bank into a knowledge-based pool of employees, promote human resource policies that showcase talent, drive a performance-based culture, making the Bank an employer of choice.
- The complex will also be at the forefront of developing a new institutional culture that rewards creativity and innovation, develops talent, attracts and retains world-class staff at the Bank.
- Within the CHVP complex, the Corporate Services and Procurement Department designs and implements the Bank's corporate services and corporate procurement strategies.
- The role of the Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS1) of the Department of General Services (CHGS) is to: provide technical management of the Bank's real estate technical infrastructure; manage all of the Bank's fixed assets and properties and provide technical support for the Bank's decentralization policy.
- As such, the Operations and Maintenance Division of the General Services Department contributes in a visible way to the support provided by the Corporate Services Complex to the other complexes and entities of the Bank. This Division should play a significant role in the implementation of the Bank's new development and business delivery model.
Under the supervision of the CHGS.1 Division Manager (Operations and Maintenance Division), the Principal Civil Engineer is responsible for the management and monitoring of works and maintenance services on Bank-owned real estate (land, buildings, structures and miscellaneous civil engineering infrastructure, etc.) and premises occupied by the Bank at its headquarters and in the country offices:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate and maintain all of the Bank's immovable and movable property at Headquarters and the country offices
- Define and implement the Bank’s administrative and investment budgets for infrastructure;
- Conduct the execution of new or renovation works and ensure the management of works contracts and maintenance services of the Bank's infrastructure at Headquarters and in the country offices.
- Plan and coordinate construction projects for buildings and civil engineering works, improvement and renovation of the Bank's real estate assets.
- Initiate and coordinate studies the execution of works and services necessary to improve buildings and installations.
- Participate in the development of the Bank's investment programs real-estate infrastructure (buildings, premises and office space, residences, etc.) and the management of the related investment and operating budgets.
- Participate in the implementation of internal procedures to monitor and inspect new works and maintenance services meet the Bank’s objectives.
- Oversee the preparation and drafting of technical dossier
- Develop standard specifications and terms of reference to procure and maintain workspaces and residences in the Bank’s country offices.
- Participate, in liaison with the coordination unit of the country offices, in implementing the installation of the country offices including identifying spaces for rent, adapted to the standards of the Bank.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams responsible for investment projects and specific refurbishments.
- Design and apply innovative approaches; work in a team, and draw conclusions, maintain good interpersonal relationships, communicate and be detail-oriented and be customer-oriented.
- Keep abreast of developments in construction and civil engineering techniques and standards and make recommendations for submission to the Division Manager.
- Act as the head or acting manager of the Head of Buildings Section in the event of absence.
Application Closing Date
- Hold at a Master's degree in Civil Engineering or Public Works or an equivalent degree in a related discipline; additional training in the Bank's rules and procedures for the procurement of works, goods and services would be a plus.
- Possess at least six (6) years of relevant experience in construction and operating real estate infrastructure in an international setting and five (05) years in engineering consultancy, construction or building maintenance services.
- Possess sound experience in the planning, and management of complex works and services projects and programs
- Possess knowledge of civil engineering techniques, characteristics of building construction, road paving and sanitation networks materials.
- Possess skills in budget management and procurement of works, goods and services.
- Serve as a specialist on all matters relating to the Bank's real estate infrastructure (buildings, land, offices, residences, etc.) at headquarters and in the country offices.
- Propose promoting high environmental quality and the operating and maintenance costs of Bank buildings at headquarters and workspaces in the country offices.
- Develop standard specifications for the procurement and maintenance of country office premises.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, ); knowledge of SAP would be a plus.
5th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.