African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advisor, Natural Resources Management, ECNR
: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Position N°: 50083908
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Chief Economist and Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The ECVP is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio-economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The ECVP will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
- The external role of the African Natural Resources Center’s (ANRC) is to support Regional Member Countries (RMCs) improve development outcomes through effective management of natural resources wealth by delivering practical solutions on policy, legislative and investment decisions in the sector. Internally, it brings cohesion to the Bank’s strategies in natural resources sectors by providing a single lens through which the institution tackles natural resources governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the African Natural Resources Center, Lead Expert Renewable Resources position is responsible for providing strategic and operational direction for the Center’s renewables programs and leading a team of experts to support Regional Member Countries and strategies of the Bank.
Work program validation and execution:
- Support the Director to set goals for the division, ensuring alignment to the Bank, Complex and Department strategic priorities.
- Establish and monitor work program for the division and introduce changes where required.
- Support the Director to manage financial resources of the Division and assure its effective implementation.
- Report on the work program execution and propose alternative and corrective measures as needed.
- Actively contribute to the designing and monitoring of the division key performance indicators.
Technical oversight on the division activities:
- Provide strategic and programmatic advice to the Director and staff of the Center on all matters relating to fisheries, forestry, land and water by ensuring adequate technical input into regional programs.
- Oversee implementation of the Center’s Strategy and workplans as relates to fisheries, forestry, land and water sectors by managing the relevant workstreams in line with Bank strategies.
- Oversee programs and manage resources as relates to the Center’s work in fisheries, forestry, land and water, by leading the extractives team of experts, consultants and managing budgets.
- Coordinate advisory work on fisheries, forestry, land and water regulatory matters, including policy, laws and institutional structures by working with regional offices to grow and meet demand.
- Oversee the provision of strategic and technical advice on fisheries, forestry, land and water projects negotiations between Regional Members Countries and investors by ensuring availability of technical expertise and policy tools to guide strategies by representatives of Regional Members Countries.
- Collaborate with peers to benchmark policy formulation by conducting periodic benchmark studies,
- Bridge knowledge and skills capacity gaps by leading the design of products and policy tools to help Regional Members Countries build capacity,
- Support the Director in mobilizing human and financial resources by identifying and forging strategic partnerships with internal and external peers in the Regional Members Countries, Regional Economic Communities, industry and think-tanks,
- Support the Director in managing all resources allocated to specific role by ensuring availability of adequate human and financial resources to deliver the program,
- Keep abreast of international and regional trends through analytics, networking and self-development,
- Represent the Center by being the spokesperson and ensuring availability of institutional memory on fisheries, forestry, land and water in the Center.
People and Talent Management:
- Ensure the division has the appropriate skills-mix at any time for effective delivery of the objectives defined in the work program.
- Supporting the Director in reviewing and validating the staffing needs and build with the Human Resources department the required recruitment plans.
- Contribute to assessing work performance, appraising staff potential and determine training needs.
- Put in place, with the assistance of the Human Resources department, talent management mechanisms, to build a talent pool for the division for business continuity.
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Renewables Economics, Policy Design or Renewable Resources Management and related disciplines. An additional qualification such as a PhD will be an added advantage;
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant work experience in the sector, international organizations, regulatory environment, private sector or a Think-Tank with a focus in the relevant sector and or function, of which at least three (3) years will be at managerial level.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Be a change agent with extensive knowledge of the renewables sector regulatory environment, regional initiatives in the sector, African Union development programs and relevant protocols.
- Strong ability in designing and implementing programs of advice and capacity building.
- Good grasp of the regions development challenges and Development Financial Institutions environment coupled with the knowledge of principles of good governance as pertains to natural resources policy.
- Extensive report writing and editorial skills.
- Knowledge of influencers of public policy.
- Proven ability to lead and manage small team of researchers in specific projects and/or tasks; capacity to initiate innovative research ideas and techniques in order to improve research policy making content of development research.
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities, coupled to manage innovation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
20th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.