SFLK Consulting - Our client is an independent education consulting company equipping students with the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed for excellence in and beyond the classroom through rigorous, customized and transformational preparatory programs. Through their academic preparation and advisory programs, they enable students and schools to be intentional about student outcomes. Their college counseling service helps students to get ready for university by explaining every part of the process and helping families prepare well in advance of the application deadlines from exams to course selection, university selection and financial assistance.
Looking to reinforce their fast-growing college counseling team, they're urgently looking for full-time candidates in Lagos to fill the position below:
Job Title: Academic Coach
- The Academic Coach is responsible for driving student learning. Academic Coaches collaborate with students and instructors to help students develop and achieve academic goals by cultivating good study habits, preparing them post-secondary exams, and evaluating student progress.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starting strategic thinker who demonstrates the spirit of creativity and resourcefulness that a high impact environment demands, and who focuses on both relationships and outcomes to accelerate results. He or she will possess or demonstrate the following: a growth mindset, self-motivation, positive energy, strong interpersonal skills, a service-oriented and team approach attitude to work, approachability, openness to new and divergent ideas, excellent oral and written communication skills, and comfort in an educational setting where children and adults are present.
- The Adviser must be able to work collaboratively with teaching teams, senior academic officers and families.
Education and Qualifications
- The Adviser’s role is primarily to assist students with mapping their academic and extracurricular experience to their future goals.
- Understand the secondary school to university education pipeline in Nigeria and overseas, and assist students in developing a secondary school academic learning program consistent with their abilities and interests.
- Help students define and develop an up-to-date academic realistic educational career plans through schedule planning for each semester and summer school, if appropriate, through to graduation.
- Monitor progress toward educational/career goals and meet regularly to monitor progress toward completing the proposed academic program and to discuss grades and other performance indicators.
- Approve all designated educational transactions (eg. exams, change of subjects, waivers, graduation requirements, etc.)
- Counsels and guides students and parents towards successful university applications and placement in Nigeria and overseas.
- Ensures deadlines are met and work with teachers to write and upload strong letters of recommendation
- Assists student with standardized test registration and management
- Organizes and hosts college visits to campus and establishes strong relationships with college representatives and admissions officers
- Maintain an up-to-date Advising Portfolio, with a summary record of performance to date (grade reports, transcript, requirements completed, etc.), dates of meetings, notation of special circumstances, up-to-date information.
- Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, attendance, or other personal problems require intervention by other professionals. (e.g. Academic Services, Personal Counseling, etc.) Build rapport with students
- The candidate must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Guidance & Counseling, Psychology or in any related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a service-oriented environment. Experience in the Education sector as a college counsel, college admissions officer or other related experience is highly preferred.
- Significant experience counseling and supporting students through the college selection, application, admission, and financial aid process will be appreciated.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- A desire to help students succeed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, supportive attitude, and passion for guiding and advising college bound students.
- Ability to collaborate and build rapport with students Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to motivate students as they transition from high school to college.
- Leveraging student data in the tracking system to manage work, capture activity and coordinate with other teams, making continuous updates to the status and stage of various opportunities
- Create, maintain, and provide status reports across work efforts.
Application Closing Date
- Competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
- HMO provided.
15th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their current Resume/CV and a Cover Letter detailing their interest in and experience for this role to: [email protected]
using the "Job Title" as the subject of the mail.