Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Coordinator
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender-based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as outbreaks).
- MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
- The Health Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of quality services in the field. Under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator, the HC manages the operational and technical aspects of the implementation of the full package of medical services (Primary Health Care, Nutrition, GBV, MHPSS) in the different operational sites.
Supervision of MdM clinics and medical services:
- Ensure smooth organization of services on daily basis.
- Ensure that a proper patient flow is implemented and respecting confidentiality.
- Ensure that a proper communication and an integrated approach patient-centred are implemented within all services available.
- Ensure that following-up regarding drugs and consumption is implemented and collaboration in place to promote respect of protocols, especially linked with prescription.
- Support regular data collection and provide analysis of those data.
- Ensure quality of services by requesting the technical support of the Quality Assurance Unit (technical advisors).
Supervision of health awareness and promotion:
- Based on the needs and camps realities, define messages to be disseminated.
- With the support of the community outreach supervisor, define the health awareness / promotion approach to be implemented.
- Ensure that communities have a good understanding about MdM services.
- Promote the inclusion and active participation of communities (and their leaders) in the dissemination of the messages.
- Ensure quality of health awareness / promotion activities by requesting the support of the IEC
- Technical advisor.
Organisation of the referrals:
- Maintain a good collaboration with the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) as well as other partners with whom we work in terms of referrals (ex: MSF, WHO…), with support of program co.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the MOU with the UTH and the medical team (knowledge and application of referral criteria, use of appropriate tools).
- Ensure that referrals are organized in appropriate conditions.
- Ensure that a proper follow up of patients referred at the UTH is done.
- Make sure data regarding referral are available and provide analysis.
- Ensure the good coordination of her/his team, tasks delegation of her / his team to ensure the smooth running of the activities and good information sharing.
- Ensure timely flow of information within her / his team and the other departments.
- Ensure that medical and paramedics staff of Clinics respect their assigned tasks.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure Clinic staff understand and work according to MdM principles.
- Make sure tools developed at country level are known and implemented (SOPs, sensitization material…).
- Ensure the staff selection, recruitment, disciplinary and grievance procedures of her / his team.
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures. Define training needs, submit and/or organize training for the medical team in link with Health Services Quality department and Program Coordinator.
- Responsible for capacity building and training of her / his team.
- Ensure and respect communication lines of the organizational chart / or Make sure that communication line among her / his team is respected.
Participate in reporting activities and coordination:
- Prepare a weekly activity report to submit to Program Coordinator.
- Compile epidemiological reports for inclusion in medical reports or any other relevant reports.
- Participate in MdM internal meetings (general coordination, medical, security…).
- Attend to external medical meetings upon Program Coordinator request.
- Actively coordinate with other humanitarian actors working in the same camps to promote synergies.
Finance and Logistics:
- Ensure all procurements required for the good implementation of activities in the clinics are submitted to the logistics department on time and are followed up.
- As budget holder, monitor closely all budget lines related to clinics activities, ensure that her /his budget is well respect, and express to Program Co any issues.
- Actively participate to the update of the budget forecast based on planning of activities, to make sure that financial resources are available on time.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical and Functional links:
Background of the Candidate
- The Health Coordinator is under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator.
- S/he manages directly the head of medical supervisors (Maiduguri), clinic medical supervisors, community outreach supervisor, referral nurses, roving midwifes.
- S/he work in close collaboration (functional links) with the Deputy Health Co in Damboa, pharmacist coordinator, M&E supervisor, the Health Services Quality Coordinator and his team of technical advisors, and the Emergency Response Coordinator, as well as finance / HR / log coordinators.
Application Closing Date
- Sex Indifferent Humanitarian experience - Yes
- Nationality Indifferent Emergency experience - Yes
- Coordination experience Preferably
- Language English Fluent Computer skills Windows environment
- Hausa An asset Driving licence - No
- French - An asset.
26th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter via email to: [email protected]
using the "Job Title" as the subject of the mail.
: Applications without the above subject will not be treated.