African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager, Corporate Procurement (CHGS.2)
: Abidjan, Cote d'ivoire
Position N°: 50092477
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
- The Corporate General Services and Procurement is one of the vehicles for delivering the services, goods, works, and real estate to the clients of the Bank.
- The Corporate Procurement Division, CHGS.2 is entrusted with the strategic, operational and oversight responsibility for the execution of corporate procurements within the Bank in accordance with the Presidential Directive, policy and Delegation of Authority. The Division is responsible for the formulation, application of the formulation, application and evaluation of procedures and practices covering purchasing and contracting for goods, works and services for the Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the President, the Division Manager will drive a new corporate culture that rewards creativity and innovation and attracts and retains a world class workforce into the Bank.
- The Division Manager is responsible for all corporate procurement activities within the Bank:
- Set long-term vision for the Corporate Procurement function and operationalize it through strategies, policies, directives and procedures.
- Plan, organize, control and direct the activities of the Corporate Procurement Division to provide strategic orientations in the area of the Bank’s internal procurement of goods, works and services and contract management.
- Organize, coordinate and manage all activities related to the development and implementation and monitoring the policies, procedures and practices of the corporate procurement services.
- Ensure that procurement activities are carried out in accordance with relevant policy, directive and procedures in order to achieve optimum efficiency, cost effectiveness and timely completion of the Bank’s requirements. This includes ensuring that the Bank’s procurement systems and processes are efficient and enable the achievement of Value for Money.
- Represent management on Corporate Procurement issues / reporting to the Bank’s senior management and the Board of Directors.
- People Management and Leadership within the team
Under the general Supervision of the Director of General Services and Procurement the Division Manager’s principal accountabilities are as follows:
- Provide day to day leadership, defining the vision and longer-term strategy for the corporate procurement function to achieve the optimization and exceptional customer service required of the Division.
- Initiate studies of new and innovative approaches to corporate procurement.
- Lead review and preparation of policies and strategies to incorporate the new experiences and best practices, to ensure best value for money and service quality.
- Lead procurement planning and preparation of strategies for the delivery of corporate procurement services to support customer requirements effectively and efficiently with evolving Bank’s strategic objectives.
- Coordinate the revising of all administrative procedures and manuals on corporate procurement for the Bank Group and making recommendations for amendments as appropriate.
- Implement and deliver category management strategies for corporate procurement and improve knowledge, visibility, transparency. spend analysis reporting and disclosure of procurement information.
- Supervise the review and quality control of terms of references and technical specifications of the acquiring services and facilities related to corporate procurement contract management.
- Supervise sourcing activity and related procurement processes for value for money and policy compliance.
- Plan, strategize, and lead negotiations of all financial agreements with suppliers and conducting pre-bid meetings. Oversee preparation of support documents and lead presentations of procurement files to the Purchasing Committee.
- Manage the records of all procurements and a database of potential suppliers of goods and services and works by putting in place adequate systems.
- Business owner of the Bank’s procurement system and responsible for continual maintenance and upgrade to meet the Bank’s ongoing needs.
- Oversee and monitor regular evaluation of contractors’ performance to ensure sustainable impact and value for money.
- Lead implementation of initiatives and transformative activities to enhance checks and balances and quality including Contract and Supplier Risk Management, Health Safety and Environment (HSE), Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Modern Slavery and Diversity in procurement suppliers.
- Lead work program development and implementation.
- On-board, motivate, coach and manage staff with focus on professional development and continuous improvement. Train and develop the entire procurement team to achieve improved service and capability.
- Create enabling environment for enhanced staff engagement, collaboration and teamwork.
- Lead relevant training for Bank staff both at HQ and in the Country Offices with respect to Corporate Procurement activities.
- Maintain relationships with other IFIs, industry associations and procurement authorities in order to develop international best practice in corporate procurement and contracting. Represent the Bank in corporate procurement-related events at international level.
- Supervise the functioning of the Secretariat of the Purchasing Committee.
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master's Degree in Administration, Business, Economics, Law, Procurement and Supply Chain Management, Engineering or their equivalent; Qualification in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, specialized training in Procurement or Supply Chain Management will be an added advantage.
- At least eight (10) years of relevant experience of which three (3) years will be at management level.
- Practical experience in a multilateral development organization will be an added advantage but not a pre-requisite.
- Excellent management and leadership skills including procurement transformation, optimization of procure-to-pay and source-to-contract management systems.
- Experience of preparing and submitting externally visible reports.
- Experience in reviewing and developing procurement policies, contracts and standard tender documents.
- Proven history of engaging with senior internal stakeholders to align procurement activity with the Bank’s growth ambitions.
- Experience of working with external parties to deliver improvements to the cost-effectiveness of the procurement service.
- Highly developed problem solving and negotiations skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Understand, interpret and apply the Bank’s rules and procedures and public procurement principles.
- Act with integrity and always maintain confidentiality.
- Observe the highest standard of ethics, honesty and accountability.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and SAP.
27th November, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.