Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: AVR Community Policing Officer
Slot: 2 Openings
Contract type: National contract
- The primary function for this position is to develop a mutual relationship with community members and the local leadership structures and define and solve problems through collaboration with community residents.
- The goal is to prevent and/or reduce crime, fear and antisocial behaviour in the community.
- Community Policing recognizes that crime prevention and control must involve a partnership between the police and the community.
- People appointed to serve in this role must have prior experience in Nigeria Police Service.
Experience and Technical Competencies
- Mobilize project participants and key stakeholders at the state, local government and community level and introduce them to the concept of community policing.
- Determine the training and capacity building needs of community leaders and other key project stakeholders on community policing.
- Interact and collaborate with members of the community to create and maintain comfortable and safe living conditions in the communities.
- Play a preventive role by making their presence felt in the community by creating a sense of security to community members, deter crimes, support crime victims, and offer information when necessary.
- Carry out enquiries in communities to establish any safety and security needs.
- Jointly with community focal persons, establish community support structures that can be used for reporting crime and any other activities that could threaten peace and harmony in the community.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights and reports.
- Assist AVR Manager and AVR Supervisor in carrying out monitoring and evaluation of program activities.
- Develop weekly and monthly plans and budgets for AVR Supervisor or Manager’s approval
- Advice AVR Manager and Supervisor on tools and equipment required for the implementation of community policing activities.
- Ensure quality control during implementation of Community Policing activities in accordance with DRC-DDG global standards.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- At least a Bachelor's Degree from a recognised institution of higher learning in Nigeria. Specialised training in criminal justice, law, mediation and dispute resolution is an added advantage.
- At least 7-10 years of service in Nigeria National Police Service.
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria.
- Proven record of working with local communities in maintaining law and order.
- Experience working in diverse and cross-cultural and insecure context.
- Previous experiences in the Community Policing program is an added advantage
- Experience working with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Master qualification in conflict prevention, international relations, law, peace studies
- A Bachelor Degree qualification in Law, Criminal Justice, Mediation and Dispute Resolution, International Relations, Peace Studies, Political Science or related field.
- Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Able to communicate in spoken English.
- Fluency in Hausa and Kanuri will be an added advantage
Application Closing Date
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
25th November, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Only.