African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Transport Engineer, RDGE3
Abidjan, Cote d'ivoire
Position N°: 50064289
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programmes, and activities. The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- The East Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Centre oversees 14 RMCs and 6 country offices. The Rwanda Country Office Manager reports to the Director General for the East African Region.
- Under the administrative authority of the Country Office Manager, the Senior Transport Engineer reports directly to the Division Manager, Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialisation (RDGE.3) of the Regional Development, Integration and Service Delivery Directorate for East Africa.
- Under the overall supervision of the Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialisation (RDGE.3) Division Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for all activities related to project management and loan administration with respect to the development of the Bank Group's transport infrastructure and urban development portfolio as defined in the duties and responsibilities of the Rwanda Country Office, including the coordination of related programmes with government, civil society and local bodies, the private sector and development partners.
- The incumbent will contribute to knowledge management efforts and ensure that best practices and lessons learned in transport management and institutional/governance approaches are reflected in project design.
The position of Senior Transport Engineer will have the following work objectives:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the Bank's expert for transport services and infrastructure.
- Develop and implement transport projects.
- Strengthen and maintain the Bank's understanding of the transport sector and its role in Rwanda's development.
- Mobilize resources for targeted activities as part of the Bank's work.
- Provide advice on future Bank and Rwanda investments in the sector.
Under the supervision of the Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialisation Division (RDGE3) Division Manager, the incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the preparation and evaluation of strategies and policies for the development of infrastructure sectors (transport, urban infrastructure, etc.) in collaboration with government agencies, development partners and other stakeholders;
- Participate in the preparation of terms of reference and monitoring of studies relevant to the infrastructure sectors, contribute to the examination and review of study reports and propose actions to be taken by the Bank;
- Participate in missions for the identification, preparation and evaluation of studies, transport and urban development infrastructure projects/programmes and reform support programmes in these sectors in support of the Bank's strategy and contribute to the drafting and review of reports;
- Participate in project launch, supervision mid-term review, completion and portfolio review missions for transport sector projectsand contribute to the preparation of reports;
- Provide advice and expertise to the heads of implementing agencies on transport sector issues and priorities, technical aspects of projects and the Bank's rules and procedures, including procurement of goods and services, disbursement procedures;
- Provide expertise in the review of bid evaluation reports and conduct the evaluation of technical and financial proposals for contracts related to project implementation;
- Follow up on recommendations made in supervision, mid-term review, portfolio review and audit reports with due attention to project monitoring and evaluation;
- Carry out analytical and sector work to inform and support the Bank's downstream involvement in the design of transport sector projects and programmes;
- Collaborate with other development partners to harmonize approaches, share experiences, and continuously improve practices, and integrate transport sector policy commitments into project management;
- Develop partnerships with the private sector, bilateral and multilateral agencies on issues within the Directorate's mandate;
- Prepare transportation project fiches identified with borrowers for inclusion in the project pipeline;
- Carry out any other related tasks assigned by the Regional Operations Division Manager or Country Office Manager.
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's Degree, DEA, DESS or an equivalent degree in Civil Engineering or Public Works or an equivalent degree in a Transport-related discipline such as transport planning and engineering, or in transport economics. Training in public policy or public administration will be a plus;
- Preferably have at least six (6) years of experience in the transport sector and a proven ability to work on policy, institutional and financial aspects of transport infrastructure projects, construction and maintenance, management and procurement, capital and maintenance planning and programming, knowledge of private sector involvement and the link with economic development and poverty reduction;
- Be able to apply technical skills in a team leadership role to solve and manage issues related to the design and implementation of transport projects/programmes from an overall development objective of poverty reduction;
- Have proven experience in the formulation of transport policies and strategies, transport sector development and urban development programmes and the implementation of transport sector reforms, including legal, regulatory, institutional and privatisation reforms
- Strong experience and ability to conduct sectoral dialogue on transport policy issues (public sector reform, public finance, private sector participation and regulation) and analytical capacity to integrate policy and institutional development aspects into a wide range of transport sector issues;
- Have a good knowledge of methodologies and techniques for analysis, planning and programming of the transport, tariff regulation, economic and security sector as well as sectoral governance issues and the impacts of climate change;
- Competence in decision-making, teamwork and personal motivation;
- Ability to communicate effectively written and spoken in English and/ or French with a good working knowledge of French and/or English. Being bilingual is a plus
- Proficiency in the use of the Bank's current software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, SAP and/or other ERP systems would be an asset.
4th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions. The position holder will be recruited at the local level and will therefore not have international terms and conditions of employment.
- Only nationals of Rwanda or bank member countries who have the right to reside and work in rwanda will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocations for the position in question.