The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cassava Phenotyping Scientist
Contract type: IRS Contract
- Genomic resources have opened up new opportunities associated with predictive breeding including genome-wide selection schemes in plant breeding pipelines. However, acquisition of high-throughput phenomics data is a rate-limiting step in the quest to increase breeding efficiency and accelerate genetic gain. Additionally, high throughput phenomics is needed for basic research in cassava physiology including use of products of transgenics and gene editing.
- A major goal of this position is to develop automated and semi-automated methods for lab and field based high-throughput phenotyping to permit precise quantitative analysis of plant growth rates, structure and function; and genetic dissection of complex traits. T
- he high-throughput phenotyping work will involve using remote sensing technology tools including UAVs with numerous sensors to automatically collect quantitative data on plant variability.
- This person will also manage confined trials under confined field trial conditions for the purpose of phenotype novel genetic resources for physiological characteristics related to photosynthesis and crop metabolism.
- Use red/green/blue (RGB) and multi/hyperspectral imaging to carry out routine assessment of plant development under stress and non-stress environments including: - Emergence count, canopy height and cover fraction - Crop health indices (green area index, temperature and fluorescence)
- Develop image processing and analytics methods for cassava field trials including use of threedimensional reconstructions (Orthomosaic models).
- Work with breeders and molecular geneticists to combine remote sensing, physiological and agronomic traits to develop models for predicting genotype performance under different environmental conditions.
- Coordinate precise sampling of plant tissues (leaf, stem and roots) in the field as well as under confined field trials for biochemistry analysis to understand underlying genetic variation between breeding varieties.
- Participate in execution of experiments under confined field trials.
- Conduct capacity building activities related in the area of high-throughput phenotyping using remote sensing approaches by training PhD and master students.
- Responsible for including all experimental metadata and trial data in the project database.
- Responsible for preparation of project technical and financial reports as required by the project timetable.
- Preparation of publications in collaboration with other project scientists.
- Supervision of staff and students.
- Contribute to resource mobilization.
- Other responsibilities as requested by your supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a PhD in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, remote sensing or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- Sound technical knowledge in high-throughput phenotyping using remote-sensing tools such as UAVs.
- Strong knowledge of plant physiology and physiological processes of cassava.
- Competence in statistical analysis programming language R.
- Ability to satisfy all regulatory and management requirements for running confined field trials in Nigeria.
- Experience with database management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
Application Closing Date
- The initial appointment is for three years.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
31st December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application below. Applications must include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).The application should be addressed to the "Head of Human Resources"
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.