Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria is a five-year, USAID-funded project. The goal of Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria is to increase the practice of 17 priority individual and household level behaviours and five provider targeted behaviours in the areas of malaria; maternal, new-born, child health and nutrition; family planning and reproductive health (RH); and tuberculosis, while increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality social and behaviour change (SBC) programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer I - Provider Behaviour Change
Locations: Abuja & Ebonyi
- The five provider focus behaviours are: adherence to national malaria case management (diagnosis and treatment) guidelines; adherence to national malaria in pregnancy guidelines; provision of comprehensive, quality FP counselling and services to all clients, regardless of age, marital status, religion, etc; providers adherence to national clinical guidelines for the management and treatment of Acute Respiratory Infections and diarrhoea in children; provision of respectful maternity care (RMC) and counselling to pregnant women.
- The Provider Behaviour Change State Officer will work closely with the larger project team in implementing provider-focused SBC interventions within the state.
- S/he will also ensure that project activities model and adheres to the five provider-focus behaviours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with service delivery partners, government partners, and provider associations in the state to drive and support SBC activities for providers in the specific health area implemented in the state
- Represent BA at relevant coordination meetings organized by the State Ministry of Health or partners
- With the support of the Senior Technical Advisor for Provider Behaviour Change, drive the implementation of provider behaviour change activities in the state
- Support providers via supportive supervision, mentoring and coaching. Identify issues affecting providers’ motivation, opportunity and ability to practice the above behaviours and develop tailored support plans in collaboration with the relevant authorities.
- Conduct Advocacy visits to medical professional bodies and facilitate discussions to address barriers to providers’ behaviour change
- Link provider activities with other community or media SBC activities ongoing with the state. Support other SBC activities intended to strengthen the relationships between facilities and communities.
- Facilitate interactive sessions with providers and supervisors especially at the LGA level
- Provide technical guidance and identify unique opportunities and major events that can be leveraged for promoting provider behaviour SBC activities in each state.
- Participate in initiatives that apply human-centred design, behavioural economics and other methods for deepening stakeholder involvement, questioning assumptions, generating new insights, and testing new approaches.
- Develop activity budgets and travel plans and work closely with Abuja and field staff to ensure sound stewardship of project funds, security of staff, and compliance with donor (USAID) regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Technical Advisor, Provider Behaviour Change and the Chief of Party, BA Nigeria Project.
Minimum Qualifications & Competencies
- Degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBChB)
- Advanced university degree in public health and experience in any of the health area programme management highly desirable.
- Minimum of three years of work experience in public health programme development and implementation, particularly in Nigeria.
- Experience with SBC, especially programs with providers as target audiences highly desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a high demand work environment
- Proven teamwork and facilitation skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a rapidly evolving environment
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
Application Closing Date
6th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV only as one PDF document to: [email protected] The subject line of your e-mail should be the Job Title along with the Location. E.g. “Program Officer I - Provider Behaviour Change, Abuja".
To apply for this position, please follow the instructions exactly as described below. Any submissions that do not follow the instructions exactly will be discarded without review.
Your Cover Letter should include the following:
- Address the education / experience requirement specified for the position with specific examples where necessary.
- Language skills. (Please note that language skills will be tested during interviews for shortlisted candidates.)
- Include the specific date when you would be able to begin work.
- CV and Cover Letter PDF file name must be your first and last name in CAPS (e.g.: CHINEDU OGUAGHAMBA).
Do not include any additional certificates or documentation. Any applications that include certificates or other documents will be deleted immediately.